ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the day my dad purchased the car the left front singnal and marker lights refused to work. I replaced the bulb twice checked all the fuses several times and traced the wiring back as far as I could looking for damage. Then I turned my attention to the blinker module because I had read that sometimes they get loose solder points and quit working. The module looked fine inside and one thing bugged me, why was it only the front lights? Exhausted by searching the internet to no avail I crawled under my dash again and started poking around. As I was randomly checking grounds and connections I found that if I wiggled one module around my blinker would work for a second. The module turned out to be the drl control module. ( In Canada it has been a requirement for all cars to be manufactured with daytime running lights since the very early 90's. Since its cheaper for a company to use a single wiring harness for all markets American cars didnt get this module but instead got a jumper plug in its place. Of course finding a drl module for my car turned out to be quite a chore. No parts store in town even had a listing for that part and the used ones I found online were hundreds of dollar. I decided that no one would ever notice if my 28 yr old car had drl or not and I was going to bypass them to make my signals work. Automotive triage. Not being able to find a wiring diagram I just started jumping points to find which wires needed to be jumped. I popped a couple fuses but got the job done. After I figured out where the jumpers had to go I pulled my broken drl module apart and pulled the board out. (I have a friend who repairs electrical components so I might let him try to fix it) I put the plastic module housing back in and positioned my jumpers and popped the now almost empty module box back into place for a clean factory look. Now I have no drl but working turn signals and marker lights. 20190829_135338_1567351479101.jpg I have no idea how common this problem is as Im sure it only plauges canadian cars but hopefully its useful information for someone

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts