ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really interested in doing a Hukuna-style subwoofer install in my 93. I know clearwater used to offer a panel, and carbon miata now offers a panel, but both only fit 6.5 in speakers. I lean towards getting a panel over just cutting holes in the existing metal because the panel seems to point the speakers toward the driver and passenger more, which seems like it would work better in terms of sound quality (instead of just facing upwards). Anybody done anything like this? I need inspiration!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think most guys run 6.5" subwoofers because of fitment issues with 8", so make sure you measure everything twice before you spend your money. Other than that, I think you should just go for it. I think the way I would do it would be to trace the parcel shelf onto 1/2 inch sheet wood to start. Subwoofers move, so bracing your new wood shelf will be important.
You could angle it towards the cabin by making something out of fiberglass like this:
But remember, angling the sub in will only lessen your available mounting depth which will already be minimal.

Try it out anyways. If you fail, return your unused sub and reinstall your untouched metal shelf.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
For sure. Take the metal panel off, flip it upside down and lay it on some cardboard to trace the shape, then trace it on some 1/4" MDF.
Or take out the middle man and just trace the panel onto the wood.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts