ClubRoadster.net banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally got around to installing the DIY KGWorks cluster. Made the gauge faces using PowerPoint and printed on photo paper - while nowhere near revlimiter's approach, these work well for now and cost about a dollar to make.

Total cost came in under $50 but I have not as yet installed independent glass covers over the gauges. I suspect that will add about $25 to the cost if I go that route. Turned out reasonably well. A second pass would probably turn out a lot better but for now this is in a "completed" state.

I pinged several people along the way for guidance and info. Will write up the approach and parts list if there is interest.

-- Sanjay

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Since I have 4 clusters laying around I am going to try this out. I'd imagine a good aluminum peice would work out great. Hats off man, quality stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's a picture of the final product with the RevLimiter gauge faces as well as the independent glass for the gauges. I used a convex glass so you see a fair amount of reflection in the picture but it is very usable when driving.

The gauge faces are actually pretty awesome - starting position is in the 1:00 o'clock slot so it takes a bit of adjusting. My biggest problem now I can't keep my eyes on the road and away from the gauges!!

I will write up a parts list and what I did shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Great job gentleman! I thought of doing this but i think i might just shell out the clams but i love DIY threads! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

When making the holes for the gauges and lamps how did you measure the hole centre points so that you got em centred and symmetrical with everything else?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi

When making the holes for the gauges and lamps how did you measure the hole centre points so that you got em centred and symmetrical with everything else?
Pretty sure he used the stock bezel as a template to draw all the circles in the correct relative positions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
fantastic write up. got in the shed today to make my own
took about 6 hours. not totally happy but good learning curve for version 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey so I realize this post is pretty old but does anyone know how to get the clear plastic off of the bezel? Do I need to bake it and pull it apart?

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Wow... The letter decals are an awesome tip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Everyone. Sorry for bumping an old thread... again....

New Miata owner here, just picked up a 2004 MSM. Would like to try this DIY before shelling out money for the KGworks version. Anyone have information on wiring the new LED's? Is there a wiring diagram, and/or wiring harness that you can buy that plugs into the stock plugs?

Also - anyone have a template for the NB2 gauge surround? I can totally figure all this stuff out when I pull it apart, just trying to do the legwork before ripping into my dash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow this is a fantastic write up. Definitely a better way of doing things instead of spending $300 on a bezel..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 83 Posts