ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My shifter boot was in rough shape for a while and it left my extender sticking out, so I decided to remake it with the same drapery weight flower print fabric I used around my stereo.

1) The first step is to pull out your old shifter boot. There are four screws holding it onto the center console. Cut along the four seams so you have the four trapezoids/triangles apart, and no, they're not all the same shape although you may be able to get away with acting like they are.

2)If you're not trying to cover an extender then you can just trace the pieces of the old boot with about a half inch of extra on each side and sew away. If you're trying to cover an extender like I was, then it's a little more complicated. The top and bottom sides of the trapezoid need to stay the same length, but the height of the trapezoid is what will compensate for the extender. Trace the bottom of the old leather onto a piece of paper and mark where the top of it is. My extender is four inches, so I added that much to the height of it before I drew up the sides. Add a half inch to each side to sew (seam allowance).

3) Cut out the shape you just drew and trace it onto your choice of fabric. I cut my pieces next to each other to try to make it look seamless - I could have done this part better, but it doesn't really matter. I wish I took more pictures of the sewing itself, but I suppose that's the simple part. Sew along the line you drew half an inch in from the edge.

4) Attach your new shifter boot to the center console the same way the old leather one was. The last part is to keep it up ;) .You may come up with a better idea for this, but what I found easy was to fold the top of the boot in and ziptie the boot to the shifter.

5) Take her for a rip and feel the extra 5hp of swag you added

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for fixing the pictures. You should edit the first post and fix them there, too.

I am having a custom boot made for my car as well as a hydro brake boot made to match. I noticed you used 4 identical panels for your shift boot. Does it fit odd? We took the OEM one apart to make patterns and ended up with different sized panels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for fixing the pictures. You should edit the first post and fix them there, too.

I am having a custom boot made for my car as well as a hydro brake boot made to match. I noticed you used 4 identical panels for your shift boot. Does it fit odd? We took the OEM one apart to make patterns and ended up with different sized panels.
Didn't see this. It fits nicely, but I should have made it a bit longer. It slides down about a quarter of an inch when I put it in fifth, but that's it really.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts