Discussion Starter #1
thoughts? comments? links?
or should i really spend the $$?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I found a cool DIY on .net from some kid. here's what you do

Then

run the wires thorugh firewall, hook it up to swtich and your done.

Here is my switch mount

RESULTS!!!

Wows Hot Miata dorifto Action!

Livin the life.

Like a dark abyss!

When I get bored I make long posts. Hope it helps.

Out.

-Paul

PS. Tottal cost for me was 0! Friend had everything including switch. Only downside is the flip up dash light stays on. But that is ok, serves as a good reminder!

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Don't take this wrong, but just looking at that "wiring" freaks me out. Wow. Ya know there are $.25 fuse holders that'll do that job a little nicer?

Still, glad it works for ya. I love DIY.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That looks simple, but explain me something. How do the lights get on that position? I have to cut off the power when they are comming down with the switch.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I turn the "sleepy eye" switch in the off position then push in the head light flip up swich on and modulate the hieght by turning the "sleepy eye" switch on and off.

How can this harm anything? I forsee no problem with this mod(the pictures above is not MY wiring but the one I used as a reference).

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think i'm gooing to do some mod's this weekend :D

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Done this weeked for a meeting

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i done it and it broke already. i did it last night, it worked fine. i did go out for a few drinks but didnt touch it. this morning, i was like, yess! i can see what it does... and nothing... i popped the hood, wtf? at first i thought mice ate the wiring... but just the red side? wait they wouldnt leave bubbles in the plastic... aw crap. the wiring had melted away, and didnt even blow the fuse (good thing, cuz i needed my lights!)

i guess 18 guage stranded wire isnt good enough... time to go back in again.....

btw the metal body on the swith wouldnt short out would it? i just had it laying under the dash as a temporary thing... could it be grounding out? #-o

did everyone else just pull out the little light in the dash? i was thinking of a 4 terminal switch that cuts that light out only when in sleepy mode....

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I think I used 14 gauge, just to be safe, its alot thicker than the wires I spliced.

wrap the switch terminals with electrical tape if you dont want it contacting the body. I dont think this is what caused the meltdown though, like you said, its probably the smaller gauge wire.

The way i wired mine, the dash light doesnt stay on.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think I used 14 gauge, just to be safe, its alot thicker than the wires I spliced.

wrap the switch terminals with electrical tape if you dont want it contacting the body. I dont think this is what caused the meltdown though, like you said, its probably the smaller gauge wire.

The way i wired mine, the dash light doesnt stay on.
i used 14 gauge also. how did you wire it so the light dont come on?

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
like this, they are pivot instructions, just splice a switch instead of a pivot controller. dash light is only on when lights are in motion, when you stop them with the switch the light goes off. Make sure you use the right instructions, there are some for the "Roadstar 1600" and "Roadstar 1800"

I SHOULD ADD... I am not able to have the headlights turned on while the headlights are in the "lazy" position. I am not sure if you can do that with the other wiring or not.

I did this DIY mod as well although I took a slightly different approach.

These Pivot instructions show you where to splice, but instead of splicing a pivot controller all you need to do is splice a switch and you'll have the same results as djsquigles. The light on the dash doesnt stay on though.

http://www.raceonusa.com/productimages/__productfiles/pivot_univeral_popup_headlight_controller.pdf

this image shows the wire to splice on 90-93's

This info originally posted here

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the wiring throught the fuse box. Two wires go from the fuse to the fuse box, then one wire goes to the switch? Is there a grounding wire? If possible, can someone do a diagram for me?

Today is my day off and I want to get this mod done today, it seems pretty simple. I know Jose showed me the basics during the meet, but i'm still a bit confused.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the wiring throught the fuse box. Two wires go from the fuse to the fuse box, then one wire goes to the switch? Is there a grounding wire? If possible, can someone do a diagram for me?

Today is my day off and I want to get this mod done today, it seems pretty simple. I know Jose showed me the basics during the meet, but i'm still a bit confused.
if you look close, one of the wires is black, so its kinda hard to see 8)

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Okay, excuse my elementary understanding of electronics, but I drew out a diagram of what I perceive is how this is laid out. If its wrong, please someone draw over it and correct me.

I wasn't too sure which black wire it was, one seemed like a shadow, and the other was almost really hard to see.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 123 Posts