ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the old thread about the DIY sleepy eyes. I wired everything up this morning, everything works like how it was stated in the post; however, i had a question for the other guys that did this too..

Do you guys keep headlights in sleepy position when you park your car?

I noticed that the retractor light on the dash stays on even if the car is off because of the active relay in the engine bay.. I don't know how much power the relay/light actually draws from being on, that's why I'm curious if it's ok to leave the headlights in sleepy position when my car is parked.. don't want to end up with a dead battery from something so little..

·
Registered
299 Posts
i did that when i first did the conversion and it killed my already close to being dead battery since i replaced the battery it hasnt happened agaion but then again my light doesnt stay on....

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
ive left it on like that for days, over night, all the time. Battery shouldn't die from such a small light being on.

ENjoy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input guys. Just needed a little more confidence that the active relay won't draw too much power while the car is off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so my friend inspected the setup and he told me that it won't draw much power, so it IS ok to leave the sleepy eye mode on with the dash light on. HOWEVER, leaving the relay in "active" mode isn't the best idea for a prolonged time. The relay is what will mess up wires and draw power from the battery.. soo technically, it's NOT ok to leave the headlights in sleepy mode with the dash light on..

So after, I went ahead and did the "pivot sleepy eye" switch behind the center console, and somehow I screwed something up...

When I snipped the wire and tied in the switch, nothing happened when I tried to use it. So now my headlights go up, but won't go back down.. Kinda bummed, I checked all the fuses (driver's side footwell) and everything seemed fine. Any suggestions on what else I should check? I think the relay got messed up somehow? I am also able to turn the manual adjustment knob without the headlights automatically closing on me, so I know something isn't functioning with the retractor unit itself. Please post up with your opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
the only time i have had that problem (them staying up) is when i once un plugged the thing behind the hazards button (if that makes sense)

Just wondering how did you do your DIY mod, cuz all i did was splice a switch into a wire and my light doesnt stay on when in the "lazy eye" position

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only time i have had that problem (them staying up) is when i once un plugged the thing behind the hazards button (if that makes sense)

Just wondering how did you do your DIY mod, cuz all i did was splice a switch into a wire and my light doesnt stay on when in the "lazy eye" position
well the thing is i messed up on cutting the right wire. Come to find out the red/white wire i cut was the power to the "down" wire. After I reconnected it, the retractor switch never ended up working again.. So I think I shorted something out; however, when I looked for all the fuses, I couldn't find anything blown..

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
theres a couple different ways to wire it, I think you guys are confusing one another.

the red/white wire is the 90-93 method, and its a wire you snip and splice under the hood. This is detailed in the Pivot instructions you mentioned.

94-97 pivot method splices a wire on the retractor switch but its not the red and white wire as you found out.

If your headlights are now stuck in the up position, and you cant find any fuses blown, oem retractor switch may have been damaged. I think a replacement is about $15 from partsgroup... If you have a local friend that can lend you their switch for a minute you can test to see if yours is indeed bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theres a couple different ways to wire it, I think you guys are confusing one another.

the red/white wire is the 90-93 method, and its a wire you snip and splice under the hood. This is detailed in the Pivot instructions you mentioned.

94-97 pivot method splices a wire on the retractor switch but its not the red and white wire as you found out.

If your headlights are now stuck in the up position, and you cant find any fuses blown, oem retractor switch may have been damaged. I think a replacement is about $15 from partsgroup... If you have a local friend that can lend you their switch for a minute you can test to see if yours is indeed bad.
yeah I realized that after I had hooked it up to a switch, lol.. Comes to find out, I fried the relay underneath my dash, replaced it today, and runs like a champ. Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts