ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read up on some stuff on how to stiffen up your motor mounts and i was wondering how do i do that with our motor mounts since it's basically a solid piece of rubber ( i think)...i seen like the 240's and those arent solid..it's like plates with gaps you can fill in with the polyurethane...my question is..how could we do that with our mounts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I plan on (soon) purchasing either the Mazdaspeed or Mazda Competition mounts myself, plus buying (or building) a torque-damper. However, once I have the old mounts out, I'm going to see if I can't fab up some stiffer mounts out of some poly we have at the shop (actually intended for motor mounts we make for 3000GT's...)

Just to satisfy my own curiousity :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
hmm ahhh i kinda wanted to go cheap on motor mounts..i guess buy them
Dude, they are cheap...I think the mazdaspeed ones are like less than 70 bones...
He's right, they're cheap, just over $70. If you don't have a Mazda Motorsports account you can get them from trackdogracing.com.

I just installed a set last month and they made a huge difference. That's probably b/c my stock mounts were falling apart. #-o

·
Registered
96 Posts
A little trick we used on high HP offroad truck motors is, we would weld a peice of chain to each side of the motor mount with just enough slack for the mount to move and dampen the shifting motor, then the chain would stop the movement. I will see if I can fing a pic.

M

·
0 Posts
how hard is it installing the new mounts? and whats the process
Remove one nut on each motor mount from underside of K-member
Raise motor with cherry picker
Remove motor mount brackets (3 bolts each side of block)
Remove motor mounts from brackets (1 nut each side)
Reverse to re-assemble

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is almost as simple as MiataRoadster says. A caveat if you have headers - take the header out first. Although in theory it is possible to do with the headers in the car, trust me that it is faster to take the header off.
And you don't need a cherry picker. You can raise the engine with a jack and a block of wood under the oil pan, as you only need to raise it 1/2 inch or so.

·
Registered
534 Posts
PITA if you have a bottom mounted turbo as it sits right above the mount and makes it impossible to take the mount out.

BTW I do have mazdaspeed mounts on my car, I like it, the difference was pretty big, I can actually shift from 1-2 and 2-3 without the car jerking around =D> , but my old mount was torn in half. I also have a torque damper, just need to make some brackets to install it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
man I dunno what you guys are talking about?!?

I love when I clutch kick and the engine moves so much it rips the wires out of my tec ecu! YAY!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts