ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing the Garagestar Delrin Miata door bushings, and hearing of their effectiveness for users, I figured I'd see if I could make a pair for my car.

I made one rough set just to see if they made a difference in how the car felt, and then I made another set with a little more attention to detail.

I used 5/8" UHMW plastic, ripped down to size on a table saw, cut to length on a chop saw, rounded on a belt sander and holes countersunk with a 15/16" Forstner bit. I then flame polished it (turned out more mottled than polished, I'd say, but it looks nice). A few simple anodized washers for a little visual pizzaz, and that's it!

I'm pleased with the results..... I've adjusted the steel cups so the doors close with a satisfying thud, and so that it takes a modest tug to open them (this can easily be adjusted to suit your preferences, no matter which bushings you use). I'd say the car is a tad quieter (due to rattle reduction), but I didn't expect these blocks to turn the car into a canyon carving Rolls Royce....

All in all, a fun, cheap project that was more about time and details than money!

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
hmm those look very nice. How much for a pair shipped? :winky:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the complements! I don't have the time to make more of them, so I won't be selling them.... if you're interested, I'll take a picture of my hand drawn sketch and post it here, so you can make a set yourself! The anodized washers and allen head bolts are just fender washers from eBay.....

cheers

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the complements! I don't have the time to make more of them, so I won't be selling them.... if you're interested, I'll take a picture of my hand drawn sketch and post it here, so you can make a set yourself! The anodized washers and allen head bolts are just fender washers from eBay.....

cheers
With the bolts you got from ebay, did you have any thread pitch issue?

Thanks In Advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the bolts you got from ebay, did you have any thread pitch issue?

Thanks In Advance.
(I missed this question..... apologies for delayed response!): no problem with thread pitch. I happened to have them laying around, and they worked perfectly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts