ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I noticed the other day that my crankpulley had alot of wobble in it. See video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fTttDu8eo

So today I went to pull the pulley off for inspection and I got the bolt out about half way and it froze. I tried with all my might and a breaker bar with the car in gear and brakes applied to get it out and it just wont budge. What should I do? I was thinkin I should put an impact gun to it. Would that be a waste of time? Please advise. BTW my car is a 92 with the original 1.6 with 179k.

Thanx

·
Registered
563 Posts
First question, Is the timing belt off? If not take the timing belt off and the bolt should come straight out (the timing belt will apply tension upward, pulling the crank pulley up and causing the bolt to bind).

If the timing belt is already off, the more you torque on that bolt the more you run the risk of screwing up the threads or even braking the bolt off in the crank (I don't see the bolt breaking since it is probably Grade 8 or better material). Either way you would almost render the crank useless in the process. The best chance you have is to heat the crank up a little just to see if the bolt decides to come out easily (again don't use to much force).

So, if the timing belt is on: take the timing belt off and replace your bolt (cause chances are if the timing belt is on the bolt might be bent or the threads flatspotted) and change the timing belt (if it has 179K on the clock it needs it).

If the timing belt is off: Pull the motor, drop the oil pan, find a new 1.6 crank and replace. (if this is the case you might as well replace the bearings also).

Good luck!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts