Votes: 44 43.6%
  • Yah, but never had one.

Votes: 14 13.9%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else know what Pepperoni Rolls are???????

While watching the West Virginia episode of Bizarre Foods the other day, the host made it seem that Pepperoni Rolls were invented in West Virginia and no one else had them... COULD THIS BE!??!!? Do you know the joys of this amazing food?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Heck yes! I do, but I grew up in Southwest Virginia... roni rolls are a WV / western MD / western PA "thing", I have never met anyone from outside the area that had heard of them.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it the same thing as a pizza roll or calzone?
Pretty much. Its similar to a pizza roll but you don't eat sauce with them and normally they don't have cheese (though they can)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so its pretty much just bread and a few bits of peperoni?
Yes, depending on who makes it. It can be just a couple of sticks of pepperoni or a whole stack of pepperoni slices.

·
(/゚Д゚)/
3,019 Posts
Normally they're served with a side of marinara sauce though, and most of the time cheese.

And yeah I've heard of and had them - although I'm pretty close to WV.

Sheetz gas stations just added them to their menu too. :)

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,707 Posts
so its stuffed bread, with pepperoni, with or without cheese.

this isnt new.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Normally they're served with a side of marinara sauce though, and most of the time cheese.

And yeah I've heard of and had them - although I'm pretty close to WV.

Sheetz gas stations just added them to their menu too. :)
That is more of a Calzone or Strombolli . The point of a pepperoni roll is like a peanut butter sandwich. Its compact and easy to take with you and eat on the go.

·
(/゚Д゚)/
3,019 Posts
Well maybe Ohio pepperoni rolls are different, haha. Calzones always have a half-moon shape to them here, and stromboli's are much larger than pepperoni rolls. All of our local Italian places have pepperoni rolls and they're usually what I pictured (except that one is indeed the version from Sheetz.)

You guys have Sheetz's in WV, right? Go there and try one.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Heck yes! I do, but I grew up in Southwest Virginia... roni rolls are a WV / western MD / western PA "thing", I have never met anyone from outside the area that had heard of them.
I was gonna say I thought this was a well known snack, but then you mentioned the western PA part :lol: I love homemade ones, but not a fan of the gas station variety.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts