ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, jus wondering how many run oil catch cans for their miata and if they use an open or closed system.

also.. when attaching your hoses, pcv valve -> catch can, breather -> catch can. is that all thats involved in a closed system ?

what is this little tube thing on the side of the catch can suppose to do ? (redbox_

Scott

·
4,436 Posts
I use one like you have pictured above and jujst recently - I had a leak - not sure why, but it looks like from that clear tube that is used for levels - it leaked at the bottom of that tube - so you need to make sure you kind of pay attention to this over time.

Here is a shot of mine before I installed the exit line (goes down through bottom of engine bay with 3/8" tubing)

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I took off my intercooler pipes (on the Protege) and noticed a small oil film.. Time for a catch can for me. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed one just before I put in my turbo, the lines were nice and clean for that month. Then I installed my turbo (with GTX PCV valve) and they became filthy. There's easily an ounce of oil in the can at this point and I only have 2000 miles (that's a stretch!) on the turbo. It's closed and I was thinking about putting in a baffle and filter.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I use one like you have pictured above and jujst recently - I had a leak - not sure why, but it looks like from that clear tube that is used for levels - it leaked at the bottom of that tube - so you need to make sure you kind of pay attention to this over time.

Here is a shot of mine before I installed the exit line (goes down through bottom of engine bay with 3/8" tubing)
If you don't have a hose clamp on the lines you could be getting oil seepage between the line and bung. I'd put a clamp on it, tighten it down and see if the leaking stops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts