ClubRoadster.net banner

16481 - 16500 of 17141 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
Several cars that exist because Enzo Ferrari was a stubborn @$$hole:

1. Bizzarrini A3C and Ferrari 250 GTO Drogo (aka "The Breadvan") - Several Ferrari employees, including the designer of the GTO (Bizzarrini), left Ferrari over disputes about Ferrari's wife's involvement with the company. After modifying a used 250 GTO (because Ferrari refused to sell Bizzarrini's client a new one knowing what he planned to do with it) to create the Breadvan, Bizzarrini designed a car of his own make. Bizzarrini also helped a certain tractor maker develop a V12 engine...more on that in a moment.

2. Lamborghini 350GT - Ferrucio Lamborghini, a successful agricultural machinery manufacturer, was disappointed at the lack of response from Mr. Ferrari re: the unreliability of his 250 GT. Working with Bizzarrini and Touring of Milan, Lamborghini decided living well truly was the best form of revenge and designed his own car, the beautiful 350GT:

3. Ford GT40 Mk. II - Remember that line about living well being the best form of revenge? Well, here's another one for you.

In 1963, Henry Ford II was interested in getting FoMoCo into endurance racing--specifically winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As luck would have it, word got around to Ford that one Enzo Ferrari was interested in selling his company. This was all good and well until Ferrari found out that he would not be able to have sole control over his motorsports faction. Ford was already racing cars at Indy and it would not do for a subsidiary of Ford (Ferrari) to be outrunning its cars. Enraged, Ferrari stormed out of a meeting with HFII that has remained famous to this day.

Ford, feeling understandably rebuffed, began negotiating with Lola instead to create a car that would beat Ferrari at his own game (he'd won Le Mans six times in a row from '60-65). He then created a separate arm of FoMoCo to develop the car Lola designed, eventually getting Carol Shelby himself involved in their race development.

Long story short: in 1966, the Mk. II came in 1-2-3 at Daytona and, with HFII himself in attendance, repeated the feat at Le Mans (under team orders that is a story itself).

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
From where I'd rather be:

Father and son, both would be WDC in their own time:

You know you would. I would.

This is what happens when you don't have a transaxle (in a Countach):

Imagine doing 170mph in this thing--NO SEATBELT, NANCY.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
I don't normally do bikes, but this one speaks to me. That fairing in front of the H-D Sportster :)eek:) engine is really marmite to me: I can't decide if I absolutely love it or absolutely hate it.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,847 Posts
Always will dig this pic. Points to whoever can tell me who it is without looking it up. Hint: if you know what movie this is a still/publicity shot from, you are already halfway to your answer.

It was a different time, back then...note the cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

16481 - 16500 of 17141 Posts