ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was just wondering if the intercoolers off of ebay can be trusted at all? If so which size should i get for my 91 with a base greddy kit? Upgrading to 10 psi in a few months so keep that in mind. Oh and lastly can the IC tubing of ebay be trusted?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
(Ok, I am replying to a tech thread, I'll try not to get it locked..)

eBay intercoolers are very hit and miss, from what I've seen. Just like the turbo manifolds, it all comes down to how good the builder was and how cheap the price is versus how much he felt it was worth. When it all comes down to it, you can look at the construction of the endtanks and core from the pictures and judge the quality of work that way. I've seen turbo 323s in Puerto Rico using $200 eBay intercoolers runing 10 second quartermiles.

My advice? While you can never say ANY intercooler is better than no intercooler, the GReddy kit really wakes up with an intercooler. Make sure you get a kit that has nice endtanks that aren't going to be road blocks and and get some nice smooth plubming and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool so what sizes do you think will be good for a miata. i heard 18x12x3's was a good choice but then some one told me it was over kill. I know the larger you go the more lag you start putting on right? so what would be a good size with out a whole lot of lag

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
To be honest, I am new to the Miata game, I am coming from a turbo Protege background. Have you measured the area in the bumper "mouth"? That's a great start, then we can start taking fin styles and endtank styles.

Overdoing it on a intercooler is pretty easy, but it also depends on the ammount of boost and where you live.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hey guys i was just wondering if the intercoolers off of ebay can be trusted at all? If so which size should i get for my 91 with a base greddy kit? Upgrading to 10 psi in a few months so keep that in mind. Oh and lastly can the IC tubing of ebay be trusted?
A good place to check out intercoolers for a Greddy kit is http://15psi.com/

He makes tubes to utilize a few different used/reliable intercoolers that can be had for cheap. i.e. Starion, Saab, etc.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'll go measure mine... it's an ebay special.... we had to take off 3 rows from the bottom so it would fit... but it was an easy cut and weld operation... It's on an NB however, so not sure how well my specs would work in your bumper.

As for the couplers... use 4 ply silicone... they won't expand undr boost, and you really don't want to skimp on your connections...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have you checked out PWR intercoolers? http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

The water to air intercooler should efficient enough. You'll get consistant cooling and not have to rely on ambient air. You may lose a bit of pressure if your FMIC is too big or have excessive piping. The water-air barrel IC should also reduce turbo lag and provide convenience for daily driving.

If you have the means, go for a V-mount intercooler setup. Both high in bling and usability.

·
Registered
339 Posts
only problem with the W/A ICs is they tend to heat soak shortly and don't ever cool as well as a good air/air will.

been there, done that

·
Registered
339 Posts
and in my experience running the a/a always was almost at ambient temps whereas the w/a would always heat soak and was never as efficient as the a/a, regardless of power.

but you're right about the pressure loss, although the difference is pretty minimal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts