ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting get rid of my daisies (12.3lbs) and get new wheels. Should I aim to get lighter wheels or does it matter?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
If you enjoy driving your car in a performance manner, get equal or lighter wheels. If you're just looking to go low and cruise around it doesn't matter

·
Registered
882 Posts
YES

/endthread:phillyb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Obviously, the more weight you shed from your car, the faster it will essentially be. The reason why people like to shed weight from the wheels is because of the rotational force applied when the wheel are spinning, can multiply that wheel weight as much 8 times i believe. So you can imagine, each 12.3 lb wheel is more like 98 lbs while at speed.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Yes it makes a difference, it's a pretty small one. The biggest diference will be how the car feels. You need to be a pretty fast consistent driver to ever notice the benefit of lighter wheels in regards to laptimes given equal tires. Were talking tens of a second difference.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If youre shedding that much weight (say 2lbs per corner) you'll probably feel a difference in handling since there is less un-sprung weight on your suspension. As every one else says rotational mass is the biggest difference. Obviously its easier to spin/stop a lighter wheel than a heavier one. Hence, slightly better braking and acceleration although it might not exactly be noticeable.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I wouldn't worry if it's within 3lbs. 16lbs or less and the rest is chasing tenths most of us can't even consistently hit.

The wheels used on that GRM NA test had a huge weight difference. Those msr wheels used suck ass haha. Not even 15x9 -15 rotas weigh 20lbs+, they are around 16lbs.

I find the NC test interesting. Probably just driver consistency variance. The skinny tires were surprising. Granted, it's hard to determine if it's rolling resistance, weight, sidewall stiffness, or all 3.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If youre shedding that much weight (say 2lbs per corner) you'll probably feel a difference in handling since there is less un-sprung weight on your suspension. As every one else says rotational mass is the biggest difference. Obviously its easier to spin/stop a lighter wheel than a heavier one. Hence, slightly better braking and acceleration although it might not exactly be noticeable.
someone completely ignored the article posted, with test results done by a reputable performance magazine, in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks for posting the article. Pretty much sums up what I think. Unless you are a national autocross or road racing champion looking for the last split second difference, it's not going to matter much how much they weigh. As long as they are 16 lbs & under, they're going to be alright.

And like always, pick a tire & get the widest wheel you can fit it on safely. Funny how the 245 was faster than the 255, but when you compare the side by side phot comparison, you can see why. The 245 is slightly stretched. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
someone completely ignored the article posted, with test results done by a reputable performance magazine, in a controlled environment.
Sorry I couldnt see the article when I first posted it. Just disregard me then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting article, thanks for posting that up. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it. That was nearly a 4lb. difference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys, i appreciate the help! i don't think i'm going to sweat adding a little bit of weight now and saving some cash as i do it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
those other options out as well, this won't be happening for a while. just wanna get an idea of what money i need to save for

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not just get dope wheels that are inexpensive? 6uls.
i have not seen those and i feel dumb now. (still super new) i think bronze would look sick with british green. or black. or nickel. thanks man, another added!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts