ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This DIY will show you how to make an inexpensive set of Porsche RS style door pulls/releases for your NA. They are easy to make and install. And the best part is they don't damage any stock parts, so if you don't like them you can reinstall your stock handles.

What you'll need:

-(4) small washers (aprox. 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD)
-(2) nylon 1" spacers (or a bit of vacuum line)
-Grommet kit (believe I used a 3/8" kit. Get a size that will fit your belt materiel)
-Belt materiel (at least 36")

Tools:

-Scissors or utility knife
-Philips head screwdriver
-Common sense

What to do:

First, cut your straps. You'll need two per side, one short and one long.

The short one is simple, cut an 8" length (if you're using a nylon for the straps make sure you use a lighter to singe the edges to prevent fraying)

Next, the long one. I used a 19" long bit to make the pull, but you can make this as long or short as you want.

Fold over the piece and put two grommets through both layers, one right at the end and another 1/2" farther up.

That's it for the straps, now we go out to the car.

Take the door card off by first removing the Philips head screw from the door handle cup. Then pull the speaker cover off. If you have manuel window cranks you'll need to remove them too. Now work your way around the sides and bottom of the card carefully pulling away from the door. Once you have all the pops um... un-popped, you can lift the door card up and off the door.

Close up of the door handle assembly:

You can see the three Philips head screws you'll need to remove to take the handle off, but first un-clip the door latch actuator rod from the bottom of the handle like so:

Leave the lock actuator rod connected to the handle, and un-clip it at the other end:

Now remove the three screws holding the handle assembly to the door, save the screws you'll need to use them in about 2 seconds.

Here's what you should have at this point:

Take one of the screws you just saved and put a washer on it, then poke it through both layers of the short strap you made earlier, then screw it into one of the white plastic retainers that the door handle attached to (the ones on the right side in the above picture)

Now take another screw + washer and attach the other end of the short strap.

Now take the long strap and thread it onto the latch actuator rod like so:

Now for the spacer. If you got nylon spacers then use a hacksaw to cut a slit in the side (sorry I don't have any pics of this, but here's some of the vacuum line prototype that I used [which seems to work fine]) If you're using vacuum line, cut a length equal to the length of the part of the actuator rod that is bent towards the outside of the car:

Cut a slit up the side of the line and slip it onto the actuator rod. Put a zip tie around it to keep it from falling off like so:

At this stage you're pretty much done. The rod should look like this:

Now just thread your long strap under the short strap, and enjoy your new door pulls!

Note: At some point soon I'll make a DIY for the door cards I made, but this will work with the stock door card if you just want to try it out.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Good thing I have an NB..... :/

GREAT WRITE UP THO. I think I'll eventually have an NA in my stable one day. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
wouldn't it be better to make a piece out of something hard and smooth for the piece that's screwed down? I think eventually that piece would rip off. It's be better to make it out of a piece of delrin and round down the inside edges so they don't rip the door pull.

pretty awesome though, nicely done. I've been trying to figure out a way to do this

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

wouldn't it be better to make a piece out of something hard and smooth for the piece that's screwed down? I think eventually that piece would rip off. It's be better to make it out of a piece of delrin and round down the inside edges so they don't rip the door pull.

pretty awesome though, nicely done. I've been trying to figure out a way to do this
Short answer is: Yes.

Long answer: Two layers of nylon webbing is actually pretty strong, heck it's the same strength as the door pull itself. If it does wear out then it's a cheap and easy part to replace. But... Yes, if I had to do it over again I'd spend some time making a cross bar out of metal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you still lock the doors from the outside?
Yes. The door locks still work like normal, there's just no way to use them from the inside. Wasn't an issue for me since I never lock my car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! I've thinking doing this to my Mustang. Awesome job OP!
Thanks!

The basic idea should work in any car that uses a pull-rod to open the door (including maybe your NB Hellion). All you need to work out is how to attach the strap to the rod, and how to rig something for the strap to be pulled against.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Great write up! Looks like I'll be redoing my door cards again :mrgreen:
It's about time to get rid of the diamond stitched cards anyways.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yeah, I am thinking about doing something similar. I am actually working on a couple different designs for the NB :)

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I saw this in the door card thread and thought it was kinda cool. I was guilty of not really looking very hard. Loop-pulls aren't my thing really.

But dude, THIS IS THE DOOR RELEASE?!?!? That's incredible!!! Very very cool mod. My hat is off to you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks!

The basic idea should work in any car that uses a pull-rod to open the door (including maybe your NB Hellion). All you need to work out is how to attach the strap to the rod, and how to rig something for the strap to be pulled against.
How did you make the holes in the nylon belt material before putting in the grommets? I cant get the hole punch that came in my grommet kit to even dent it

EDIT: Nevermind, soldering gun with pointed tip worked wonders. Pics soon

·
Registered
256 Posts
I saw this in the door card thread and thought it was kinda cool. I was guilty of not really looking very hard. Loop-pulls aren't my thing really.

But dude, THIS IS THE DOOR RELEASE?!?!? That's incredible!!! Very very cool mod. My hat is off to you.
I'll second that - coolest mod I've seen in a long time and I'll be borrowing it in future when I can afford another mk1!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did you make the holes in the nylon belt material before putting in the grommets? I cant get the hole punch that came in my grommet kit to even dent it

EDIT: Nevermind, soldering gun with pointed tip worked wonders. Pics soon
Sorry I forgot to mention this in the write-up.

I had an adjustable hole-punch that I used all the time for working with leather, figured it'd work fine for nylon... Wrong! It's tougher than it looks.

What I wound up doing was using a chisel with a narrow (1/4'' or 1cm) blade. I put the strap on a bit of scrap 2x4 and used the chisel and a hammer to make 4 cuts in a square shape. Then I was able to force the grommet through that hole.

A soldering iron was going to be the next thing I tried, and is probably easier.

Your straps look great BTW, can't wait to see them in the car.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts