ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my door speakers and i dont really know a lot about these so any advice/tips/links please
colin

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can tell you that I have 6.5 inch Alpine type S Components in one of my miatas and I love them. The 6.5s fit just fine, but installing the tweeter was a little bit of work. I had to use a hole saw to make room for the back, but the results look factory. I do use a amp with these speakers, and the results are music that can overcome the wind noise on the highway with the top down, and enough midbass that will shake the rearview mirror if I want.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm using Kenwood 6.5 three ways, they sound decent some bass, not enough to destroy anything, but thats not expected from 6.5's anyway. They are running from a regular Kenwood headunit. I'm sure with an amp the output could be raised significantly, but i dont want to have to worry about mounting and such. I would suggest going with any decent 6.5 two or three-way speaker so as to keep the install simple. A trip to your local "Best buy" or somthing similar should give you the options that you desire. I think the key is to hear a few different speakers and then decide what works for you. And for better prices i suggest going online. Or possibly PM me with the model number you like and i will try and find you a good price on it.

Hope this helps.
-Jeremy

edit for accuracy

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think the best balance of cost/sound/packaging is some 6.5" Focal coaxials powered by a small 2-channel amplifier pushing 75-100W RMS. I picked up the Focals on eBay for cheap and power them with a compact Soundstream amp. They play loud and clear and sound really good especially when tweaked with my Soundstream EQ.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Options for you guys Are Here

I would suggest staying away from the 5inch models so as not to require an adapter plate. 6.5 is direct fit.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I've been considering buying Polk Components, 6.5 w/ tweeters. I have 4x6 and 6.5's in my truck and they sound amazing! No amp powering them though, that's next on the list for the truck.

Major typo fixed #-o

·
Registered
466 Posts
5x10??? THAT is new size for me. (I would have to guess its a typo...)

Speakers are VERY personal in nature, as what each person hears differs in reality. 2 people can listed to the same thing, but here it (tonaly) a bit different. So, a speaker that sounds good to me, might onky sound ok to someone else.

There are a TON of choices in the $80-100 range for a good coxial speaker. Under $100, and you can usually "get away" with running them off headunit power. Anything more than that in the price range ($150-300), and you are eeking into territory where the speaker will sound a LOT better with a small amplifier (50-75 watts per cahnnel).

Lots of choices....

I like the Polk SR speakers that I have in myc ar now, but will be changing to a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies (www.hybrid-audio.com) speakers in the near future.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I using HERTZ DCX165. Very nice price/quality.
They are power by an amp.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have Polk 6.75" in my doors. They fit with a little persuasion to the sheet metal in the door. You probably only have to shave about .125 for the diameter. So buzzing around it with the dremel tool is quick. I took the grates that came with it, screwed it on the plastic covers, had to trim the back of the plastic panel to accomodate the larger speaker, but it looks and sounds awesome. here's a pic:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I highly recommend the Infinity "Reference" series of speakers . I worked at both Circuit City and Best Buy for a while so I have a lot of experience with speakers in this price range ($35-85/pr) and to my ears the Infinity beat every one of them by a pretty impressive margin . For the price they can't be beat .

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9271_Infinity+Reference+6022i.html
Infinity 6.5" Reference Series, $69/pr @ Sonic Electronix . There's a shallow-mount option also available (not sure what the depth is like in the NA) .

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4296_Infinity+Kappa+62.7i.html
The "Kappa" series from Infinity can be had for ten bucks more per pair, its their next step up above the reference .

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2940&CFID=5637058&CFTOKEN=6f360b17721d3145-42EDAC52-1422-7C6E-50B5ED8118A52358
$65/pr for the Reference series at WoofersEtc , but $98/pr for the Kappa series here .

Just one man's opinion :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts