ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay so my original thread is actually lacking a lot of content. So I'll break you cr scrubs off a piece and show you its done and maybe give a little insight as to what an enormous searing rectal blast this swap really is (I'm just joshin I love you fags.) I'm gonna post it like a photoblog in chronological order:
starting point:

with this setup

So while I was driving that around I picked up this badly photographed thing

I knew that from the position of the motor in the car that the coolant lines would be way long, so I decided to do them in stainless. So I had to get a fitting welded on to my water pump housing

and a custom thermostat housing

So then I proceeded to give the engine a DIY street port

and then it was boring for a few months then came rebuild time

and thats my first installment

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 13b swap aka do this if you hate yourself and your car

I built the engine in my bedroom over about six months.

the motor was pretty much done, then it came time to address the transmission.

facts about miata transmissions and rotaries:
- a 13b bellhousing will indeeed bolt right onto a miata gearbox and tailshaft
- it is about an inch and a half shorter though, so the miata input shaft sticks out too far. You have to cut a little bit of it off
I bought a nice minty transmission from a 1999 and then proceeded to rip it apart

I would recommend taking the input shaft off and getting it machined on a lathe.
That said,

I just carefully took an angle grinder to it and it came out fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts

If you do that to another transmission, have you thought about hooking the output shaft up to.a drill or something, spinning it while the box is 1st, and hitting it with a grinder that way?

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

unghhh i was so excited
This was basically a test fit, so I could figure out stuff like this:

Other than it was lined up almost like normal.

The front subframe had to be removed so this could be done, though.
note to anyone following along at home
dont chop up your subframe like mine, buy a custom one. its easier, trust me.
I started chopping up what was immediately in the way

Then more had to be chopped

So even after all that, I still have to modify the oil pan so that it can clear the steering rack.

So at this point I had it back together, albeit very dirty, actually mounted in the car with the exhaust mostly fitted

If you do that to another transmission, have you thought about hooking the output shaft up to.a drill or something, spinning it while the box is 1st, and hitting it with a grinder that way?
yeah I sort of did this, I spun the gears with one hand while grinding with the other.

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

at this point I had a minor engine bay fire and I ran out of summer to work on it. I later came back and got it working fast and dirty:

and that brings us to present day. It currently runs but I've never really ripped it, I had to move and I haven't been able to mess with it in a few months. I'm gonna go back next week to finish it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Good job man. Can't wait to see it. I'm going down my own road now. I should be vq swapped by spring or mid summer if all goes well and money keeps flowin in.

·
Herpity Derpity
1,867 Posts

This thread is full of win.

·
LL cool Dave
2,602 Posts

Awesome, I bet you had fun doing it

Question: what are the benefits of a rotory in a miata that a turbo bp can't do besides the cool factor? (Not asking sarcasticly)

P.s I'm not trying to start anything, I'm seriously asking

·
Supporting Member
338 Posts

Nice job. Look forward to seeing it finished.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Sick! I've been wondering about your car ever since I joined here like 2 yrs ago!

Thanks for doing a build thread too :)

·
Registered
423 Posts

Mahtavaa! How is the wanker engine bolted to chassis? Can you use original motor mounts or did you build nev ones? Do you have some certain subframe in mind to use with it?
Tää on siinä ja siinä että vois saada Suomessa rekisteröityä laillisesti.

·
Supporting Member
61 Posts

Question: what are the benefits of a rotory in a miata that a turbo bp can't do besides the cool factor? (Not asking sarcasticly)

Much more power down the road with mods.
As soon as you turbo or supercharge a rotary, your power output skyrockets.

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

my motor was on its way out, and I figured the cost of a 13b would be about as much money and power as a comperable turbo bp setup (factoring in a rebuilt engine.) The 13b swap I'm sure ended up costing more overall, but it'll be cool to be able to rev to 10k. Since I'm using a miata transmission I probably can't boost it that much without breaking it. I'd have to move over to a t2 transmission and do some more fab work. I might do that later if I get bored

The rebuild I did on it would be just fine up to about 400hp.

Mahtavaa! How is the wanker engine bolted to chassis? Can you use original motor mounts or did you build nev ones? Do you have some certain subframe in mind to use with it?
Tää on siinä ja siinä että vois saada Suomessa rekisteröityä laillisesti.
I have some dirty pictures of the engine mount setup. I used MMR miata mounts.

this is before I took them back out and painted them.

You know how on the subframe if you go to unbolt the stock motor mounts, there are 'cups' down there where the motor mount bolts? I cut all of that off and welded some thick steel across the cup then drilled a hole in it, then put the mmr mount in there.

I'd recommend using the v8 roadsters subframe though.

You really think I might be able to register it in finland? I figured if I moved over there I'd use it as a track-only sorta thing.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts