ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been almost exactly 1 year from when i popped my old motor. Ive since moved into a house and switched jobs, so progress has been really really slow. Heres a few pics i have laying around, new motor shots and some new wheel shots:

Motor Specs:
9:1 CP pistons
Eagle rods
Cometic gaskets
ARP everywhere
New OEM water/oil pumps
New OEM timing belt
AEM EMS w/GM 3bar map, AIT sensor in monsterflow intake pipe, MAF delete

Dyno of build: Mods include bottom end listed above with a bone stock 99 head, stock cam timing, miataroadster intake mani gasket, custom throttlebody gasket, monsterflow intake, maf delete, aem dryflow filter, obx header ceramiced and wrapped, used high-flow cat, roadstersport race exhaust:

New Konig Bbombs 15x7.5 et0 w/ 195/50 RE-11

Im going to use this as my own memory bank as things come up..
Things left on the list:
-Break in new motor
-Retune after break in
-Paint hardtop
-Finish spare polished hood/carbontrix extractor scoop project
-Fix/rewire coolant temp senor/gauge
-Install walboro
-Gather rest of turbo parts
-fix wastegate on used mazdaspeed turbo
-source new/larger turbo?
-Build head
-Aftermarket honda B series intake mani
-ExIntake?
-Redo my rushed hackjob of ABS delete
-Remove heater blower/underdash a/c junk/stereo
-Install some sort of thermal barrier on trans tunnel

May add a full mod list later

I went 9:1 on the pistons to allow full flexibilty on FI. I feel like im standing on top of the fence between ITBs and a 949 header, rotrex kit, or turbo. Anyone in central ohio/midwest in general wanna let me test drive their car with such power mods?

Does the power seem right? Wasnt sure what to expect with the 99 head, boltons and AEM.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lookin good... did you ever get a driver side fender replacement? Can't tell from those pics.

Wheel fitment looks excellent--how do you like the tires?
You can see the nasty rip and paint flake in the drivers fender if you look for it, still the same. lol
EDIT for pic:

Tires seem good. cant say much as i was used to the 225/45 R1R and NT01s i ran last time i drove this a year ago. Going down the the 195s is a big change.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thats a nice bit of power. What has the motor build cost you so far?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Started messing with the hood, layed out some tape, took some measurements and got the extractor positioned. Using a Carbontrix 18" scoop. The front edge of the scoop is directly above the back edge of my radiator. That spot puts the actual vent opening almst dead center between radiator and timing belt. Need to get my 949 coolant reroute put on and get rid of the front water neck to route ducting. My car looks super cramped compared to other na's in that area, with the 99 head swap the 99 mani/TB comes farther foward, and my radiator being nearly twice as thick as stock in the other direction.

Also gave the drivers side about 30 minutes with rubbing compound. Hood is just paint stripper and rubbing compound. no sandpaper yet. i fucked up the front portion between the lights with a grinding disc :( we;ll see if that part sands out..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats a nice bit of power. What has the motor build cost you so far?
Seems pretty healthy for a lower(stock) compression ratio. Built it with strong intentions to boost it though! With the way things are going, that wont happen till winterish.. :(

More piece of mind and potential than a junkyard bottom end and begi s kit i almost did..

·
Function > Form
1,311 Posts
Power seems correct, go turbo, you'll really thank yourself in the end. You'd want higher CR with ITB's, supercharged you really won't be taking advantage of the built motor, and with a solid turbo you can do whatever you want with it in terms of power goal.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I missed most of the season with my local miata club autocross with the rebuild going on. Made it to the first 2 of the last 3 events so far, if that made sense to anyone haha. I made FTD both times, over a couple turbo/supercharged cars on 225/45s, one car has a FFS cold side kit and 225/45/15 hankook c71s! We also have a couple non miatas that run, including a Z06 on race tires and a caterham w/ an ecotec and goodyear race slicks, s2000s, minis etc The car is set up so well, finaly getting a payoff from all the work.

So here are some pics!

Should have more coming soon i hope. These are from 3 weeks ago, just had another last sunday.

Might actually make the last trackday at midohio this year too. Will try and get video in the car for that!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
30+ page thread on miataturbo about it.

Simple version is:
Cut off honda flange/fuel rail mounting crap, mount on mazda flange.

"The idea of this Honda IM is a compromise between an extreme top end IM and the **** stocker while maintaining the integrity of the mt.net community's inherent need to be as cheap as possible."-Braineack

Most, if not all of the guys that have done this are turbo. Im still n/a so it will be fun to see what i get out of it with a mild motor setup.

1 - 20 of 469 Posts