ClubRoadster.net banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Did a thing with my miata for once besides just driving it to work once in a while.

And here's someone elses footage from before mine after I go by them @ 8:34.

[ame]http://youtu.be/fAflvXCAw8A?t=515[/ame]

First time driving on a track. I need to fix some bad habits with my steering and work on upshifts a bit. Also maybe not run works with stretched 195/50's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Man, two beautifully built cars.
Those CR01s fit so well with the montego blue!
Is there any specific reason you went with an A-disc up front?
I wanted to leave my options open in case I ever wanted to go to big brakes up front, like a wilwood setup. The A-disk is supposed to have a bit more clearance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Actual miata content for once. I should be updating this a bit more often in the coming months.

I did my first trackday at a new local track, Palmer Motorsports Park, and got bit by the bug. I was in full stancy spec, stretched S.drives on works and everything. Not quite ideal but fun nonetheless.

So I had been collecting parts for a while, planning on going for more boost and fixing some things that bothered me and decided that now would be the time to finally go for it.
No pics but I ordered some Manley H-beam rods and Supertech 8.6:1 pistons a while back.

Started the teardown.

Pulled everything at once to make things a bit easier.

The original plan was to keep the top end together and pop it on the built block but the machine shop wants me to bring the head in to have it looked over so I may end up having to pull it apart.

Threw the head assembly on a dolly so I could shove it around the garage for space.

Started tearing down the block. It didn't seem like I had any leaks but everything is pretty filthy so there must have been leaks somewhere.

Cleaned up the block a bit. It'll probably end up getting decked anyways.

Filthy, empty engine bay.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
Now the fun part...cleaning.

Alot of degreaser, wire brush and a pressure washer and the oil pan is looking decent. Might paint it silver later on. We'll see.

Cleaned up the inside and ordered up an oil pan baffle because why not. Need to do some trimming to get it to fit right.

Figured while everything was open I'd replace the old rack bushings.

Installed those and cleaned up all the dirt and grime from the subframe. I'll probably end up hitting those bare spots on the subframe with some paint to keep everything protected.

Meanwhile, I'm hording more parts. Everything I need is ordered so parts are starting to trickle in. Supermiata damper, gates racing timing belt, new crank pulley cog, crank bolt, water pump and boundary engineering oil pump.

Tomorrow I'll see about drilling and tapping the pan for a new oil drain. The current one is only a -8, is kinda low and angles up a little. I feel like oil backs up a bit with it set up this way. I want to put the new drain higher, a little further back and I'm going to try to drill at a downward angle. The new drain is also going to be a -10.

Oh, I also ordered up a set of 15x9 6UL's in Beryllium a few months ago. Hoping to see those in the next few weeks. That way I wont risk damaging the works and I can put some decent, wide tires on the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Not a ton to update. Mostly getting parts in and waiting to hear from the machine shop.

Modded the pan baffle to fit the 1.8 pan and drilled/tapped the pan for the new -10AN drain. I definitely think my original position for the drain was too low (did it before I deleted A/C).

And then my 6UL's came in. 15x9 in Beryllium color. Should be a good track wheel.

And some 240sx content from the practice day before Final Bout - Special Stage East.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Been really neglecting this thread, tho there was a pretty big dead spot in activity this winter waiting on the machine shop.

So sometime around late March I finally got word that my machine work was done. Went and picked up the block and got to work assembling everything.

Started off with the boundary engineering oil pump, pan, water pump and oil filter/heater assembly.

New ARP headstuds and a fresh mazda headgasket.

Had the head cleaned and decked and also had the machine shop put these kelford pacaloy springs in to minimize any chances of valves blowing open from boost.

Slapped the head on.

And then apparently took no picks of the cams going in. I ended up doing the exhintake cam mod to get a little more power. Drilled the cam gear as needed.

Slapped the intake and turbo back on.

Brought it into the garage and got it ready to put in the car. Didn't want to chip the valvecover so I threw an old spare on for the install.

And back in its home. I also picked up a trackspeed radiator just to make sure everything would stay cool.

With the new radiator and new coolant inlet position, there was some interference between the chargepiping and the coolant hose. So I had to do some cutting and rewelding of the pipe for more of a straight downward shot.

Piping in, coolant burping, priming oil system, etc.

I had bought a big spal fan for the new radiator but I didn't like how it left the corners and sides open. So I bought a shroud from summit and modded it to fit. Cut a few inches off one side, rebent the cut edge and trimmed it all up to fit.

But I found that the shroud blocked too much of the radiator on the highway (it was great around town) so I pulled it out and cut some holes for flaps which would open up at highway speeds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Which brings us to the most recent status.

So I spent a month tweaking the tune for the cam, lower comp ratio, etc and bumped the boost up from 12 to 14-15psi and signed up for my first trackday of the year and the last event of the year for Track Night in America at Palmer Motorsports Park.

Car did great. Had lots of power, didn't get hot, the new tires were sticky as hell. The only downside was my Tein basics with higher rate springs were at little squidgy on the slight right hand straightaway at high speed. I ended up backing off at 120 cause the car felt a little unstable.

Besides that, I passed everything I encountered and didn't end up having to let anyone pass me. Took down a few vettes, s2k's, bmws, boxster, etc etc. Really happy with this level of power as a starting point. I eventually want to be north of 300-350 at the wheels by the time I'm done. I really need to have this tuned by an actual tuner. I haven't touched timing so I'm sure theres plenty on the table.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
So after the last trackday I decided I wanted to ditch the old tein basics. They worked decent and were pretty comfortable on the street and I had upgraded springs on them, but for the track I didn't think they were quite right.

So I splurged a bit and bought some Xida Races in 800/500.

Signed up for a trackday at LimeRock in June and I should do a few more over at Palmer as well.

In other news, I picked this up.

1997 M3 Lux. Florida car so good body and chassis, the clearcoat just needs some love. Already repainted a fender, mirrors, got a spare trunk and plan on painting the roof when the weather gets better. Car had coilovers and I put a set of M-Parallel wheels on it. Miles are a bit high at 200k, but I'm thinking of picking up a 2jz and going for some power.
We'll see.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Some random updates.

Did a bunch of ducting to route all incoming air directly into the radiator and intercooler. That helped a bit but I decided to bite the bullet and put vents in.
I picked up a used 97 montego hood on ebay and cut the holes in it for the vents.

Helped a ton. Temps stay in check nicely. Only problem was the 97 montego didn't match the 94 montego and the paint was a bit rough. So I recently painted the hood in prep for spring.

So besides that, I finally got the car dynoed and tuned. My self tuning baseline at 15psi ended up getting me 245whp so that wasn't half bad. We turned the boost up to 19psi and netted 278whp.

Which wasn't bad...but I didn't like how the spool was a bit late and the power was very peaky. The turbo is a relatively old journal bearing t3super60 which felt like it sometimes had enough sideplay to rub the side of the housing. So I ended up picking up some things for next year, particularly a Gen2 Garrett GTX3071r and some ID1050x injectors. We'll see how this goes. I went with this turbo because I'm shooting for a reasonably quick spool with the ball bearing and a small A/R turbine housing and maybe 350hp.

Its just a hair bigger.

And now I'm piecing together the supporting drivetrain bits. I picked up pretty much every miata option out there. The immediate is the NB 6 speed with a 3.3 ring and pinion.

And the potential eventual is a bmw ZF which would pair well with the 3.3 rear gears and an RX7 Turbo2 5 speed.

The rx7 trans needs some pieces and the zf needs about $2000 worth of Kmiata bits but they're both there if the 6 speed can't hold up.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just read this from the start and thought how this thread looked like the good old days of cr when i realised the first three pages are from 2012 :D Keep it up, good read and awesome car!

*edit* good old days for 2011 noobs like me anyway :littlepony:

141 - 160 of 166 Posts