ClubRoadster.net banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I just read this from the start and thought how this thread looked like the good old days of cr when i realised the first three pages are from 2012 :D Keep it up, good read and awesome car!

*edit* good old days for 2011 noobs like me anyway :littlepony:
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Its come a long way since I first got it and its kinda gone through all of the phases, from stock to stancy to a bit more track spec.
I'm having a blast with it and hoping i can get alot more trackdays under my belt. Its definitely the most fun use of the car I've had so far. Big turbo time should be interesting, hopefully i didn't go too big.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Installed the turbo and the NB 6 speed as well as a 4 puck clutch from supermiata to replace the flyin miata one. Didn't think it would hold up to the power increase.

Turbo was pretty much a straight bolt in. Just needed some new couplers and thats it.

Topped everything off with a miataroadster shifter.

Did a little maintenance too. I had been getting a small whiff of coolant once in a while so I figured the heater core was getting weak. So I replaced the stock 94 one with an NB aluminum one. Not quite a straight swap. Took some cutting of the box and a little grinding on the outside braces of the core.

Works though.

Next I'll be getting a fresh used rear subframe to replace mine. Old one has some surface rust so I want everything fresh underneath.

And finally, now that I've got the NB 6 speed, I want the gearing on 1-5 to be just like my 5 speed with 4.10s, so I got a set of 3.33 rear gears from MFactory. Just waiting on bearings to get these all installed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
So the end result there will be essentially a standard 5 speed with a "second overdrive" equivalent ratio?
Pretty much. The gear ratio seems pretty good to me with the 5 speed and 4.10s. I'm really just looking to add strength with the 6 speed until the rx7 trans is more situated so the additional high overdrive seems like it would be nice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
So, lets see...updates and stuff.

Took the car out last year around August to a track night in america event at Palmer motorsports park. Car felt pretty good, fast and was running some good lap times. But around session 3 the car started blowing oil out the breather and smoking decently.

Packed up for the night, loaded the car on the trailer and brought it home. It ran but had a little roughness in the idle. Did a compression test the next day and cylinder 4 was down to about 80psi. Then a borescope down the plug hole showed that things were not very ok.

So, it was time to tear everything apart and see just how bad the damage was.

Pretty bad...full meltdown on the piston, broken ringlands, rings in multiple pieces. Etc etc.

Luckily the turbo was fine and the piston bits must have pretty much vaporized cause there was nothing in the oil either.

The block had some light scoring in some spots so I'd need to go for another overbore no matter what, so might as well go for some flyin miata wisecos.

Got the block machined up and shortblock assembled and got ready for another spare bedroom engine build.

I had already picked up a bp4w head and had planned on eventually swapping heads anyways, so this ended up being a good opportunity to get that done.

Did the exhintake cam install and swapped over my kelford springs from the old 94 head.

While i was in there, I picked up a skunk2 ultra intake manifold, shaved and powdercoated that and got a skunk2 throttle body as well as a flyin miata fuel rail since the 94 rail wouldn't work anymore.

Got the motor in the car and up and running in late October.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
So not much happened over the winter. Drove the car a little to try to get some miles on it.
Decided I haven't really done much to the exterior of the car in a while so I kinda splurged and ordered a set of GV taillights. Took a while to come in since they're made to order but the wait seemed worth it.

Got them all painted up and installed them on the car.

Finally....I got around to scheduling a tune. Alot of things came up, Covid, tuner getting hurt, etc etc but I finally got the car tuned about 2 weeks ago.

So at wastegate pressure of 16psi, the car made 346whp which I was pleasantly surprised about. We ended up giving the MBC one turn which ended up with 410whp at 20psi, on 93 octane after a bit more tweaking.

So now i'm trying to figure if I want to try to add a flex fuel sensor to the ms2 and try to run e85 for a bit more safety factor. So thats where I am right now.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts