ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the switch from an 89 240sx, to a 95 miata, for DD and drifting. ( and being slammed. )
240sx have some serious drift tax now and I couldn't find a decent one for cheap at all....

I know a lot about 240 suspension, almost nothing yet about the miata.
I plan on ordering some BC coils, with the extra drop option. But am wondering on rates, on a pretty limited budget so I don't want to have to experiment much. Less springs = more events and tires.

So what type of rates do people run when controllable oversteer is what you want.
I know for a more tail happy you usually want a stiffer rear than offered.

I ran 8k/7k on my 240sx, the tein ha on it originally had 8k/6k on them, but after adding subframe bushings, higher rear spring rate, and removing the rear sway bar ( front was oem )

I thought about going with a 10k/9k setup, and leave the tiny stock sway on there. or run 10/8 and upgrade sways.

So what rates/sways do people run around here for mainly a drift setup?

·
4,296 Posts
kinda a tuff question .
Jeff Abbott ,green FD car, runs 8/6 on his stance with upgraded sways.
i run 8/6 with upgraded sways . but considered higher spring rates ,which i am not going for now.
a guy named Chelsea denofa will get you the best deal on BC. find him on RoadsterDrift.com
he goes by Ienjoydrifting . he ran a miata for years . he also put together that "get low package"
he would be the best source to ask about rates on these coils ,on this car.
generally , people are saying you want the car to squat on throttle. your looking for more rear traction.
i also understand , from talking to people, that a reverse rake is better. also ride heights tend to work when you allow some travel . i know , none of the fun **** you want to rock , but to perform , its necessary
i feel a 10k front spring will cause under steer. of course all spring rates are dependent on tire grip.
so grippier tire = more spring. if you plan to run street tires a softer spring to allow car control.
with all that .
i feel the 8/6k with racing beat sway bars i run offer too much body roll. but i do have great acceleration , and control.

·
4,296 Posts
make sure you do the Knuckles, its a waste of time without them.
also available from Chelsea, ienjoydrifting , Level7Tune
and i think Alex Pfieffer , Battle Version might be coming out with some soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knuckles are in the plans, as well as some top hats, probably making them myself.
I just need to get some spare knuckles to work on from a junkyard.

I might start with something a little higher than 8/6, and plan for some sways. Body roll kill drifting feel IMO.

I saw a group buy from previous on roadsterdrift, I'll send him a pm and hopefully get some things worked out. And get this miata low, and driftable.
If I can get a feel anything like my 240 I'll be happy.

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
194/110 with Eibach front and rear sways, 260 treadwear 185's in the front with 400 treadwear crap tires at 40psi in the back.

Super good grip/drift set-up, very controllable, but not too stiff.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a set of bc coils in 10/8, we will see how it works out.
I'll probably need to get some sway bar end links next.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i was in the same boat as you! i ended up geting stance with 8k/6k but if i ever feel i need stiffer spring rates...stance offers 9k/7k

report back and let us know how thos bc's with 10k/8k are working out for you!

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
If I can get a feel anything like my 240 I'll be happy.
your miata, no matter how much power, no matter how on point your alignment is, no matter what size tire you run, will never. ever. feel like a 240.

sorry to break it to you bro.

8k/6k should be a perfect combo for you.
like leonard said, high power drift cars like softer spring rates so they can grip more.
if you go too high, you're not going to get a good feel for weight transfer.
and you're gonna get alot of understeer up front.

edit: grant you're fucking crazy lol. we need drift pics soon man.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Got The coils. 10k/8k rates.
They ride nicer (really, and we have crappy roads here)
They replaced my oem shocks that had 96k miles.

Dampening set to 14 front 12 rear car feels very planted even on wavy and bumpy missouri roads.

Haven't had a chance to drift it, but it drives and grips nice.
No increase in understeer running bridgestone traction ta in 185/60/14 on the stock wheels.

I put on a full depowered steering rack a couple days before the coils. So I don't blow the ps when I do angle mods.

might try a little trick a few NA guys did on 240s, removing just the rear sway bar. Not sure why it works, but it does....

Couple months I'll have it on a track, we will see how it works out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 240, along with several other peoples, have the rear sway removed.
It shouldn't work on paper, stiffer rear should equal more oversteer

But I broke a rear end link, and just took it off. And could hold drifts better, and transfer better.
After it was removed I actually started linking tracks.

This is my 240 missile, sans rear sway, 8k/7k spring rates.
Stock Ka24e, lightweight flywheel, vlsd, coils.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_IYP8259g

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
Just because the rear is stiffer doesn't make it drift better, too stiff can actually make it drift worse, you want some rear roll and drop, and if you take the rear sway bar off completely, yes, it is easier to transition, because you get less of that "snap" but to be honest, that "snap" is what makes the Miata look so much better than other cars when drifting.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just because the rear is stiffer doesn't make it drift better, too stiff can actually make it drift worse, you want some rear roll and drop, and if you take the rear sway bar off completely, yes, it is easier to transition, because you get less of that "snap" but to be honest, that "snap" is what makes the Miata look so much better than other cars when drifting.
If your looking at suspension, technically stiff setups aren't good for drifting, you want something softer that the typical grip setup.

Having sway bars >> not having sway bars.

But, that being said, I don't have a rear, and I honestly can't tell a difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts