jacked?

wrecked?

tell your stories!

*if you have a good or funny story, post it as well

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe some of the mods canyon race... FreedomGli, why do you have to reffer to it as "retarded?" Dangerous, yes. Please don't start another mod vs. user fight...let's try to keep the peace.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I edited the title to remove reference to street racing. Talk all you want about driving in the mountains, crashing in the mountains, etc. Just don't post kill stories about street racing. Street racing IS retarded. Please take talk of street racing elsewhere.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: *mountain*and*canyon*driving*touge* did you get busted??

I don't "race", but I have followed people at 9.5/10s. I never drive outside my comfort level and I never charge 10/10ths into corners I cannot see 100% through. I also don't push hard at night.

My favorite corners are highway onramps, really. 100% visibility, no cross-traffic, and not a huge amount of disaster if I do get the car cocked a bit sideways.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

We don't really have Canyons here, but there are lots of hills unfortunately they usually aren't where i want to go or are far enough away that i can't get to them on a regular basis.

Did go on a fun drive with local S2ki folks :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't "race", but I have followed people at 9.5/10s. I never drive outside my comfort level and I never charge 10/10ths into corners I cannot see 100% through. I also don't push hard at night.

My favorite corners are highway onramps, really. 100% visibility, no cross-traffic, and not a huge amount of disaster if I do get the car cocked a bit sideways.
highway onramps are great! i tested my Azenis on them today....WOW

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

Hmm, perhaps not quite you think of as "canyon driving", but its the most intense 8 miles I know of in the British Isles....Slieve Gullion Forest in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland.

Some background; the forest drive was built for logging trucks. Its 1-way, with switchbacks, rises and falls, jumps, straights. Your own private rally stage. Plus its good quality tarmac.

The road is about 1.5 of a car width:

The "start" is marked by the cattle grid; after that, you won't get any walkers:

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=ygqyk9&noresize=1&nostamp=1&quality=70

After, that, its a white knuckle ride. At one point, you can see the remains of a Nova rally car nestling comedic like inside a ruined farmhouse below the road; apparently the result of a late night activity. The finish is marked by a second cattle grid, marking when you are back on public roads. The finish is also conveniently close to the start.

Anyhow, back to the story. On a particularly spirited club run; we were banging along. I noticed an Army helicoptor in the area; they resupply army bases in the area, and it was quite dramatic to see this Army Puma sweep very low over the convoy with the side doors open. We had just come off the run, turned a corner, and almost ran a policeman over, standing in the road with an outstretched arm....surrounded by platoon of Paras, all skulking in the greenery, pointing guns at us (in South Armagh, the police only move by air, hence the low helo, and this was a routine vehicle checkpoint). Upon seeing we were all of the same kind of car, the copper burst out laughing, waved us through, pointing out the start of the drive..... Half the population of NI are petrolheads.

Slightly more legitimate; Ramsey to Bungalow of the IOM TT course. Another MX5OC club event way back in 2000. The Manx government had specially closed a section of the course for the club. Unbelieveable experience; no oncoming trafic, no speed limits, and smiling police waving at you at the start. I have some in car video of this in a MX5, on VHS, but the guys wife is mostly yelling at him and waving her fist at other MX5s. But I found this quite superb footage from Mad Sunday, in a Caterham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_BlDNHkjY

Bungalow is marked by where the Caterham catches up with an E30, and passes under the footbridge. Note the police at the Ramsey hairpin start, and ambulance crews in attendance along the road.:shock:

(Mad Sunday is when the circuit is open to one way traffic only. The IOM has no speed restrictions outside the towns. But the police do have very fast pursuit cars (back in 2000, it was a fleet of Accord Type Rs)).

Enjoy the video, and start saving. 8) Who needs to go to Germany....

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

And another piece of IOM driving: Tony Pond in a Rover 827 Vitesse, at an average of 100mph. This is all the more impressive when you consider the car itself; the Rover is basically a Sterling 827 with slightly firmer suspension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUujfwLPXVM

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
nothing funny or interesting. there's one road around a local resevior that's quite nice. driving at 60mph around 25 mph turns. i did get the ass out in the direction of the water once, i figured out the limit of the car there.

·
Registered
311 Posts

i pretty much go whenever i have time, mostly for myself and one of my friends who can keep up, i dont really like to race people up there but i have.

ive never been poped by the cops, i have been chased without me knowing though, my neighbor told me (who is a cop listening to the radio) but hes cool with me drifting/ mountain driving, he use to come out to our little local drift things.

ive slid off the road once in 8 years and hit a tree stump on my drivers side, due to much gravel on the road and no warning signs

never jacked

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts

I regularly drive fast through the hills around my house, but have never been pulled, jacked, or crashed. In the last 20 years, I've spun twice though (once in a Chevy Sprint when I was a green 16 yr old driver, and once in the Miata back when it was new and stock)...was able to control the spin and never left the pavement both times. Pretty boring other than that.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts