ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple people in another thread have shown an interest in going karting. I haven't been to dromo in a while, and it seems like we might be able to get a good number of people together.

So post up if you are interested in going. I don't know when is best for the rest of you, but they get busier at night. And they don't take advanced registration for individuals anymore. So we'd have to have someone willing to put up the credit card to front a large group, and I bet no one is willing to do that. If we go during the day, we can go in, register, and then hard park outside until our race.

My prefrence would be during the day on Saturday or Sunday. But I could make an evening work. So post up if you are interested, and when you could make it.

So I'll pick a random date. This Saturday at 2. who can make it? who wants to, but can't? Or propose another time.

Matt

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm always dowm to go. But, some people might not be able to go this sat. since D1 is going on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You guys should definately try K1. The irvine setup is pretty trick and the tracks are longer, but you can't really drift the K1 karts :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought i would like k1 better, but here are the things I don't like:

1. they don't grid you up for a race. you just go out and try and turn fast laps.
2. the fastest line at k1 is the shortest distance between 2 points. they don't reward kart control as much as dromo.
3. i agree the dromo karts kind of...well...they can be different one to another.
4. dromo puts up with a lot more bumping and grinding than k1 does.
5. the hydro carbons at dromo make my head light...

so someone else suggest a date. if it is january, fine. saturday during the day still good for others?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
k1, dromo, whatever.. as long as we`re racing. My times mine so just gimme heads up on when its gonna go down.

·
2,708 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:42 pm]I thought i would like k1 better, but here are the things I don't like:

1. they don't grid you up for a race. you just go out and try and turn fast laps.
2. the fastest line at k1 is the shortest distance between 2 points. they don't reward kart control as much as dromo.
3. i agree the dromo karts kind of...well...they can be different one to another.

so someone else suggest a date. if it is january, fine. saturday during the day still good for others?
I guess thats where we differ.

1. I like that format. Really, how much "racing" can you do in an indoor kart place where the guy next to you just smoked a bong in the parking lot? I also like the fact you can read your times after every lap so you know if the race line you are using is fast or not. Thats not to say that time-trialing is not competitive. Nothings better then catching up to a driver and trying to find a line to pass him. I'm actually faster when chasing someone then if I have space in front of me. The course workers are actually weatching the course and know if two people are having a serious battle for postition, or of one is just holding up the other. You should really head to the K1 in Carlsbad on a monday or tuesday night. Thats when the hardcore "racers" come out to play because of the special rates those nights. Lots of trackday people and auto nuts, not the fanboys at Dromo that bring their girlfriends.

2. So whats the reward for kart control? Does the guys next to you have kart control? (probaly not) Once thing I noticed about the electric karts, if you lose traction mid-turn or drift even the slightest, your times suffer. Much like the real world, traction good, no traction = slow times. I'd rather be at a place that rewards the quickest driver, period. And that's another thing about K1, they keep track of your Pro-Score online and how you do against other drivers.

4. That alone is a good reason NOT to goto Dromo anymore. The last time I went there, some knucklehead thought he could stop his kart by telekenesis and rammed into me in the middle of a corner. The "course workers" were too busy typing IM messages on their Sidekicks to do anything. At least at K1, people obey the blue flag also. Nothing more frustrating then being stuck behind some ass-clown that rams into your side while you try to pass him.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:42 pm]I thought i would like k1 better, but here are the things I don't like:

1.Yup, that's b.s. "Time attack" crap because they don't want people to "race" eachother and make contact.

2. Correct again. They don't reward you for actually knowing/finding the race line.

3. Sadly true. But, people complain about it too much and should focus on overcoming the lack of power/steering/whatever.

4. Yes they do and that's a good thing. Just like real karting but most people wouldn't know about that.

5. More conditioning is in order? lol. :mrgreen:

But, other than that I'm ready to wheel to wheel with you Matt.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
exhonda-

I agree with you to a degree. I guess I only race where ever i go with a group of car nuts. Otherwise, i'm jut not there. So the door to door stuff I see is usually pretty good.

I used to get really mad at what some of us have started to call the "arbitrary black flag" at dromo. But we try not to get hung up on it as much. I've also found K1 in Irvine to have corner workers that don't know whats going on. they throw blue flags to quick. I want to fight my way by someone. not have them have to give way.

Anyway. I don't care. either place is fine. Hell, I could do a monday night if people wanted to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im in for a kart day

·
Registered
244 Posts
Adams kart track is a much better kart track, and that would be a ton of fun.

As for K1 vs Dromo.

There IS a line for the kart, it's just not the line you would use with a gas vs electric kart. I can usually put down a time that is in the top 5 for the week. I used to be #3 overall in Carlsbad before I purchased my own kart and pretty much stopped doing indoor karts.

If you do a mini-GP. Then you get a practice, qualifying, and then a final race. And the final race they DO grid you up for a "position" race.

But there is definately a trick to the K1 karts and it is completely different than Dromo. But for the most part, the quickest is the shortest line, but it's not always the case.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
no electric for me but if thats what everyone wants to do then ok...my only gripe with dromo is that its too slow and tight and you can`t expect much from lawnmower engines..if they had only used at the least a Yamaha KT/Kali kart combo then it cuda been more fun....anyways can`t have it all I`m down for anything.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts