ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone's ever successfully squeezed this stuff: http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1603.htm under the vinyl wrap for a Hard Dog roll bar? I currently have the high density SFI stuff and a wrap on my bar, but would like to try to fit the dual density stuff under the wrap so the bar doesn't smash my melon if some idiot rear-ends my car. I assume it doesn't work, because I've seen a lot of well prepped cars running this stuff uncovered and secured with zip ties, but if it can be made to work, I'd really like to try it because I like the clean look of the wrapped roll bar. What say ye? Yeah, I know "try it and report back", I just hate being the guinea pig.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't think it will fit under the hard dog cover unless you modify to cover. The dual density stuff will greatly increase the effective diameter that the cover has to fit around.

Also, it might be worth noting that the softer layer is still awfully firm. I bumped my head on it a few times while installing the seats and there was little to no give in it at all. I ended up wrapping the primary SFI stuff with some of the foam that my Boss Frog was shipped instead of the outer layer of the dual durometer stuff. Now it's soft enough that when I bump my head while searching for stuff behind the seats I don't feel like someone just coldcocked me.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
I just ordered about 6' of this stuff:

Pool noodles for your roll bar. IMO, it should do the job just fine. You can't really directly knock your head on the roll bar i have, so it's more for deflecting glancing impacts more than anything.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Nope. I never had dual density. The soft part is beyond worthless. You need the solid stuff. SFI 45.1. racer parts wholesale has it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
^^^ did you get into a wreck at the track with a helmet, or on the street without? Either way, my SFI dual density should arrive at the end of the week.

Edit - nm I see your blog: http://revlimiter.net/miata/bonk.html

Definitely a good reason to buy 01+ seats if you have a rollbar. I'm putting the dual density padding on the sides, since my rollbar is so high I could never possibly hit it.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
^ 2 sticks is a little more than enough for a rollbar. 1 stick is not quite enough.

I have Elise seats now to get my head away from the rollbar. I'll never trust those lowback seats again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wonder where I can pick up some padding locally here in los angeles?

-B

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rev,
Would "lowback" include 94 "M" seats? That's what I have right now, and the middle of my head is right at the top of the seatback. It doesn't seem like I'd hit the roll bar, but I'm still not completely comfortable with the arrangement (as indicated above, I've got the FM SFI/wrap kit) which is why I was looking at the dual density stuff. Going to do the "foamectomy" soon and hoping that will land my head squarely in the middle of the headrest and I guess I'll call it good at that point.

BTW - sounds like your crash is about the "worst case" senario (highway speed rear end) and the SFI padding at least limited the damage. That alone makes me feel a little better about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of bar is that? Looks like it sits really high in the car. Does it clear the top?

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Rev,
Would "lowback" include 94 "M" seats? That's what I have right now, and the middle of my head is right at the top of the seatback. It doesn't seem like I'd hit the roll bar, but I'm still not completely comfortable with the arrangement (as indicated above, I've got the FM SFI/wrap kit) which is why I was looking at the dual density stuff. Going to do the "foamectomy" soon and hoping that will land my head squarely in the middle of the headrest and I guess I'll call it good at that point.

BTW - sounds like your crash is about the "worst case" senario (highway speed rear end) and the SFI padding at least limited the damage. That alone makes me feel a little better about it.

Yes. All NA seats are lowback. Even the 95M with the movable headrest.

I normally sit pretty low in a stock NA seat, but the impact forced the seat into my back. That forced me to sit up as straight as possible, possibly stretched my back a tiny bit as well. THAT put my head almost touching my hardtop. And the back of my head hit the rollbar square on.

People never think about the forces involved in a wreck. They make your body stretch in all sorts of ways. It IS actually possible to hit the diagonals on a rollbar (HDHCDD type) even though it seems pretty difficult when you're just sitting on your seat normally. And if you should happen to roll? Yeah, your head can hit just about any part of your interior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts