My friend owns a 240 and on his car you can replace the intake cam with an exhaust cam. It has given the car a deeper sound and has increased torque and topend. Has anyone tried this and is this possible on a miata?
Long story short is that not too many have tried it, but a Protege guy tried it awhile ago and, seeing as the Miata and Prote (depending on year) share engines, figured that the mod could work on the Miata's BP.
Of course, if you are driving a 1.6L car (90-93), all bets are off. Also as yet unknown if it will work on 99+ cars, as their CAS is on the front of the valve cover, and their operation will be affected, IIRC.
Miata.net searchid's expire after your session ends so don't work for directing traffic. Protege GT aka Josh Cosford has written much about his experimentation with this mod. Works okay if you've got a BP motor and adjustable or modified oem cam gears.
Thanks for picking up the slack for me, Kyle...I didn't realize that they expired.
Just to try to be helpful, here is a thread Alex035 started to give his impressions of the mod. Also, in case you were going to ask "Exhintake" is a combination of "Exhaust" and "Intake". I know I had to scratch my head the first time I read it
...and by the next day or 2, apparently I meant "a flippin' week later!"
Hadn't heard from the machine shop all week. Went in this AM to check and see what was going on with my gear, and there it sat on the counter, just like I left it a week earlier. I was a little peeved, but glad I went in to check on it.
They called me back at around 1pm to tell me it was done. I just went and picked it up, and hopefully all is well. I had them measure out 197.5 degrees from the mark on the outer edge, and then come in to center, and drill a hole at the same distance from center as the outside edge of the other 2 existing slots on the gear.
...I'm tempted to skip seeing Borat with friends tonight so I can go install this. I'm so excited right now.
... apparently Nature is conspiring against me getting this done. I got home around 3am and got to work. I need to oval out the camgear's drilled hole, the pin hits ever so slightly off.
... but then I got to cleaning my parts pre-install, and looked at the cam journals on my 'spare' cam.. . 2 of them are gouged to hell and back. I don't know it this will end up being useable at all. Of course I didn't find this until AFTER i hooked up the abrasive saw and chopped an inch off of my cam :grr: