ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled 7 third-gear runs today, I'm happy with the result, did better than expected. This was just for kicks, so I didn't bother hooking up the wideband or anything. I have the dyno printout in front of me, but no scanner. I'll try and just get the image as a .jpg and post it up later this week. It's pretty cool because the torque curve shoots almost straight up from a little under 2000rpm and stays there until about 5000rpm when it starts to fall off.

Peak whp (corrected) was 102.6, peak wtq (corrected) was 98.6. All 7 runs were very consistent and stayed within a few ticks of each other.

My car is a '94 C-package with right at 140,000 miles. Ghetto-fabbed intake, test pipe, and timing advanced to 17*....umm, fidanza flywheel, but not sure if that really would make a difference.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
sweet stuff man. does the car feel faster than that, because if it does, thats all that matters :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Any aftermarket exhaust?
In a test conducted with some friends we saw 6-8hp gain with a RB cat back. The 97 1.8 car tested turned 120 whp

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow i would expect more than that.

stock 1.8s usually dyno at 100-102 whp
Haha, it IS pretty much stock. Bumped up the timing, traded the cat for a test pipe, rigged up a warm air intake, that's it!

As a comparo, two days ago I watched an R-package with intake, header, and exhaust (loud!) dyno at 107 at the wheels, so I'm not upset :)

No aftermarket exhaust as of yet, I'm kind of liking the quietness of the stock muffler, although I'm tempted to make something within the next few weeks...we'll see.

I'll be sure to dyno it after I do an exhaust. The dyno'ing was done at work, so it doesn't cost me anything.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet stuff man. does the car feel faster than that, because if it does, thats all that matters :)
Err, I dunno, the car still feels slow to me :lol: My old Neon that had maybe a little over 150 crank horsepower and weighed another 150-200 lbs more felt a whole lot faster.

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
oh, i see, do you know which I/H/E was on the R?

i was thinking im putting down 105-110 with my car with an RB intake, timing bump, and RSR GTII with the silencer pulled.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh, i see, do you know which I/H/E was on the R?

i was thinking im putting down 105-110 with my car with an RB intake, timing bump, and RSR GTII with the silencer pulled.
Honestly, no, I didn't ask him. He's on the forums here, but I do not remember his name. The intake wasn't anything I'd seen before....it was shiny aluminum, mated to the MAF sensor like a proper intake would be, but it kind of angled towards the firewall and fender, not looped around like the racing beat intake. The exhaust looked custom, but I may be wrong. I do know it was pretty damn loud.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Pulled 7 third-gear runs today, I'm happy with the result, did better than expected. This was just for kicks, so I didn't bother hooking up the wideband or anything. I have the dyno printout in front of me, but no scanner. I'll try and just get the image as a .jpg and post it up later this week. It's pretty cool because the torque curve shoots almost straight up from a little under 2000rpm and stays there until about 5000rpm when it starts to fall off.

Peak whp (corrected) was 102.6, peak wtq (corrected) was 98.6. All 7 runs were very consistent and stayed within a few ticks of each other.

My car is a '94 C-package with right at 140,000 miles. Ghetto-fabbed intake, test pipe, and timing advanced to 17*....umm, fidanza flywheel, but not sure if that really would make a difference.
The torque fell off at 5252rpm, that's where it crosses on every single car ever built.

(It's part of how the dyno calculates HP and toruqe)

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Nice, now you have a baseline. Numbers will always vary depending on the dyno. You did this at work and for free? Damn, I'd love to have a dyno at my job. Is it a performance shop?

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
Sounds about right. maybe a little low but close.. We dynoed a bunch of cars here as well.I also have a dyno at work.. We were getting 112-118 hp from a 94-97 1.8. Every dyno is different. What kind of dyno are you running on?

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1 for what kinda dyno- from what he says about the other 1.8's #'s, i would suspect he is right on track with everyone else, and that the dyno he used puts out a little bit lower #'s than average

1 - 14 of 14 Posts