ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RRev Motorsports in PDX was having a charity dyno day today, so I took the Miata in. Based on the following chart I expected to see ~115 or so WHP, figuring I'd see a peak 5 or so whp over this I/H/E chart. http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/Dewaine_Norris_082099.pdf

Imagine my surprise when I beat it by twenty-three HP!

I hit 132.3 peak HP, and 110.2 peak tq.
Power peak was at about 6750, and is a 45 degree line up the chart. No dips, lulls or otherwise.
The tq crests 100lb/ft at 3400, and doesn't fall back under it until 6900!! RPM

The air/fuel failed to impress me though. All factory fuel management, 130k miles on the pump, etc. It stays at 15:1 until 4400RPM. After that it takes a gentle decline to 11:1 from 5900 to 7000. Time for better fuel management.

The charts are attached. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics. :)

My engine Mods: (just the usual bolt-ons)
Racing Beat Intake | Racing Beat Header | Hollow catpipe | Fidanza flywheel | Unorthodox UDP | 1994 Exh-intake cam on redrilled stock gear. |

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strangely, the same can be said for me. :)

Megasquirt, ITBs, and I think a compression bump should get me close. I think there's serious gains to be made down low in fuel changes until i get around to the ITBs, and I hope that the optimized, shorter (read: non-existant) intake path'll help as well, even if I do lose the shiny bling of the RB elbow. ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, your AFR sounds a lot like mine before I found that vacuum leak :lol:

Good numbers there' man. Can't wait to drop some cams in mine and see how she does :D

Assuming I don't blow all my cash on JDM show pieces :lol:
When the car's cold it acts like it has a vac leak, bad... I attribute that to my removal of the TB warming lines, with no coolant in the TB, it can't figure what to do so if i hit the brakes before the car's really warmed up it bounces idle from 2k to 1K and back. Idles kinda high too.

After a while (which it had been running ~30 mins at dyno time) the idle settles down and it loses that vaccum leak feeling. Wonder if i still have one though. Food for thought, definately.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Damn. I think I missed you by mere minutes. I Dynoed right after you and put down a mighty 107 with 96 mighty torques. Then on the way home my car started idle drooping all to hell and lost all power. I HOPE it's just the plug wires... I HOPE.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Heh, your AFR sounds a lot like mine before I found that vacuum leak :lol:

Good numbers there' man. Can't wait to drop some cams in mine and see how she does :D

Assuming I don't blow all my cash on JDM show pieces :lol:
When the car's cold it acts like it has a vac leak, bad... I attribute that to my removal of the TB warming lines, with no coolant in the TB, it can't figure what to do so if i hit the brakes before the car's really warmed up it bounces idle from 2k to 1K and back. Idles kinda high too.

After a while (which it had been running ~30 mins at dyno time) the idle settles down and it loses that vaccum leak feeling. Wonder if i still have one though. Food for thought, definately.
Sounds like it's time to sniff around with some carb cleaner ;)

Mine needs to warm up too, or else it barks at people (Peter) who blip the throttle too much :lol:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. Holy hell. I did this originally way back in '06? I'd forgotten about this thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well i threw my na on the dyno after work the other day and got a bit of a suprise, 112whp 119tq.
only thing that i have done is an rx7 maf with no filter on it, the air fuels were 15.1 from 4k to red line.
then i hit it with a 50 shot wet and made 153hp and 162tq. car feels decent for such low power numbers.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
newb question..... what is an Exhintake?????? it sounds like a cheap 30 hp so im definatly down for that!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts