ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post the musical interests you had growing up.

Qualifications: Must be music no later than your senior year in high school but can include earlier stuff if that was truly what you listened to.

No smart ass comments from you young punks about how old I am! ****! I'm old compared to most of you kids. :shock:

I had older siblings so I started early:

Influnces of older siblings

Journey
REO Speedwagon
Rush
Genesis
Phil Collins
Chicago

Brief Christain Rock Phase (involved in Church Youth Group)

Amy Grant
Sandi Patti
Michael W. Smith

80's Popular Music (Pre High School)

Quiet Riot (7th grade and parachute pants!)
Devo (Whip It!)
Duran Duran
Petshop Boys

Intro to Classic Rock (High School)

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd

Alternative Rock (when alternative really was alternative) High School

Front 242
Depeche Mode
The Cure
U2 (The Joshua Tree album was HUGE)

·
Registered
490 Posts
No love for Bon Jovi or Def Leppard? Motley Crue, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Twisted Sister?

I hear ya on the age thing. We had a couple of 18yo interns at work this past summer who didn't know what a power ballad was. That's just wrong.

You know. Looks like its going to be hair metal day on the old iPod at work today. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Every day is hair metal day, well, it alternates with glam rock, i'd say :p

My early influences were oldies; The Byrds, simon & garf, beach boys, perry como, sammy davis jr., etc.

After that I grew up a bit and moved to classic rock/disco I still haven't really grown out of it :)

Not much new material i listen to aside from metal. Everything's too cut-and-dried these days. A fresh sound is hard to find in the sea of melodrama that is the modern music machine :(

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No love for Bon Jovi or Def Leppard? Motley Crue, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Twisted Sister?
How could I forget? #-o

I actually have every one of them on my iPOD. :lol:

all 90s seattle alternative movement.

still love it all to this day, probably because it was HUGE when I was in middle/highschool.
I dig the grunge thing too however that was after H.S. for me. NIN was also after H.S. and I still love it.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
My influences in music did not come from bands but from two people, my father and grandfather.

They told me when I was young, about seven years old, that there is no bad style of music just some music you will not like.

My grandfather, born around 1905, was a classically trained in piano & violin but played jazz saxophone professionally in his youth. As well as sang Barber Shop music.

As for my father he did not play any instrument but had a vast music collection with everything from classical to jazz, Beatles to Johnny Cash, Tony Bennet to calypso.

My tastes run from ?20?s Jazz to Punk Rock. Chet Baker to the Clash. About the only music I do not listen to is Opera and I can even find some Opera that I like. (except Chinese Opera, I am sorry I can not find anything that I like in that)

To date myself I saw Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Tour.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting...

Let's see...when I lived in Germany, so 1-6th grade

-Michael Jackson
-Lot's and lot's of Techno!!!

Back in the states....Middle school

-Metallica
-Scorpions
-Andre Rieu (classical music)

High School

-Eminem/D12
-Method Man/Red Man
-Whatever Hip Hop was popular at the time

I still listen to all of the above, except for Michael Jackson.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am only 18 but i listen to alot of older music. I listen to about everything really...except rap and country. A few years ago I only listened to classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Journey, Pink Floyd, and stuff like that but now i listen to alot more. Just to pick a few bands from different genres....John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Def Leppard, Michael Jackson (still listen to a few of his songs), Dragonforce, Dream Theater, Delerium, The Postal Service, Ms. John Soda, Metallica, The Decemerists, Initial D, Depeche Mode, The Clash, The Ramones, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Europe, Dispatch, and a whole lot more. I'm definatly not the typical 18 year old that only listens to rap or whatever popular music is on the radio.

·
2,708 Posts
I have a pretty wide-range of musical likes.

Growing up in the mid 80's and having older sisters and cousins meant I was listening to lot's of classic rock, which I still listen to. They were also BIG into the New Wave era of Modern Talking, Bad Boy Blue, Depeche Mode,ect. I listened to it, but wasn't decked out in the nasty fashion.

(I remember watching the movie Amadeus when it first came out and fell in love with Mozart's music. Yes, I have the soundtrack and many more of his CDs)

When I wasn't at home and hanging in the city streets (Hartfod,CT) , it was 80's hip hop like Run DMC, MC Lyte, K-Solo, B.D.P, EPMD, Beasties, Dougie Fresh, Slick Rick,ect, basicly, it was the Golden Era of hip hop.

The 90's was CRAP for Hip Hop, with the Puff Daddy Era and commercialized "gangsta rap" bullshizzle. Only a few exceptions like Nas, Pharcyde, Hiero, and Wu-Tang made the 90's bearable to me. Thank god I was overseas defending our rights to listen to crappy music for most of the 90's.

I also listen to a lot of blues and jazz (Billie Holiday, Chet, Parker, Miles, Coltrane)

Every girl I dated liked sappy slow songs, so, yeah, I listen to 80's and 90's slow jams from Peter Cetera, Journey, Bon Jovi, Madonna,ect. R&B slow jams are also on my ipod, mostly Jon B, Sade, R.kelly with some Luther and Alicia keys.

I'm also a huge fan of Cold Play, thanks to the chicks. :)

For me, my enviroment dictated a lot of what Ilisten to.

My sisters and cousins got me listening to classic rock and new wave music.

My friends got me into hip hop,graffiti,breakin', blues and jazz.

My dad influenced me with International sounds like Manu Chao and classical music.

My ex-girlfriend's got me into the sappy love songs,haha.

Most people look at my ipod playlist and are like, "WTF? You got Wu-Tang playing after Sheryl Crow?",lol.

I like diversity.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I also listen to a lot of blues and jazz (Billie Holiday, Chet, Parker, Miles, Coltrane

Like that stuff.

I was in shock when I found out that Nina Simon is still alive. I told my friend that imposible I like her music :)

Someones asked, do you like any musicians that are alive :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm still a teen but my dad got me into stuff like pavoratti and roberta flack and stuff when i was like 4. i grew out of that stage pretty quickly. then in middle school i became a total wigger listening to 50 cent, 2pac, whatever was popular. got over that when i was 14. and ever since 14+ ive been strictly punk rock with bands like black flag, dead kennedys, clit 45, circle jerks, the uprising,some minor threat, pennywise, ramones, stuff like that. and a little bit of 2pac here and there sometimes. hes got stuff that makes u think.

·
Registered
156 Posts
WOW! Where to start....

I was first influenced by my folks music, early 70's country. I hated music.

Then I discovered a record player and a stack of vinyl in the basement of our local library. An unopened copy of Bob Seger's Night Moves changed my life. Well, at least made me realize there is more out there than just what mon and dad listened to. That lead to realizing that the world didn't revolve around my parents and there was so much more beyond the front door of a small house in the middle of an Indiana cornfield; thanks Bob! I started riding my bike to the library after school just to listen to music, everything from Jazz to Classical, Rock & R&B. I remember how I felt the first time I heard the Marriage of Figaro, powerful.

Fast forward to middle school, AC/DC and for some crazy reason, The Tubes. Now I was a drummer in the band and found the wonderful percussion mastery of Neil Pert. All hail the mighty RUSH. HS for me started in 1984 and it brought Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Jimmi Hendrix and yes, even Prince was cool back then....and that was his name.

I discoverd the Allman Bros in college and had Live at Filmore East in the CD player for 5 years. The drummer for Creed was my room mate in college so I listened to them for a while, not really an influence but it's kinda neat to name drop!

Right now, I am really diggin the BeBop jazz era.

Thank you! Goodnight!

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Elementary School:

- Yanni, John Tesh, Enya, Enigma, Anything on the pure moods CDs, Grey Whales Singing, & forest/widelife sound tapes
- Robotech --all of it, even the cheesy Lynn Minmei, and Yellow dancer stuff, ITS AWESOME!
- Assortment of early 90s video game music; Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Red Alert, Dune 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3d, Quake
- New wave influences from my older brothers. I didn't like it at the time, but I love it now; Modern Talking, Bad Boy Blue, Depeche Mode, etc

Middle School:

- Beatles. Beatles. Beatles.
- all the popular oldies on your local oldies radio station

High School:
- Videogame, and Anime music, movie soundtracks, J-Pop
- Indie; Rilo Kiley, Built to Spill, Appleseed Cast, Radiohead, Weezer, etc
- OPERA [email protected]!11; Nightwish, Within Temptation
- Tool, Rage Against the Machine, and a very brief stint of Linkin' Park (cuz it was cool, and i was trying to be cool)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm a junior in HS. I listen to classic rock everyday, due to the fact that I work at a classic rock radio station. I actually produce my own music. I make primarilly make techno. (i know you guys problably dont like techno) I make rap beats and sell them for high dolla. I really like all kinds of music. Classic rock is up there in my favs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm too young to have musical influences!!

I grew up at home listening to sting and the beatles but once I found out what money was really for (spending) I started listening to pop-punk (blinkand green day pretty much). grew out of that by high school and started listening to screamo/hardcore (the bled, senses fail, norma jean, the chariot, Every time I die, brand new, etc.), which is where I'm still at.

every now and then I listen to some bon jovi, police, or the cure, but not very often anymore

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
The 90's was CRAP for Hip Hop, with the Puff Daddy Era and commercialized "gangsta rap" bullshizzle. Only a few exceptions like Nas, Pharcyde, Hiero, and Wu-Tang made the 90's bearable to me. Thank god I was overseas defending our rights to listen to crappy music for most of the 90's.
You're a little too hard 90's hip-hop. I love all the beats DJ Premier layed out for the the likes of Gangstarr, Group Home, Nas, and Jeru the Damaja. I know it was a lot of sampling, but you saw the fusion of jazz and hip-hop. The 90's also had Tribe Called Quest who had 3 or 4 albums you could listen to from start to finish, KRS-One, and Smiff 'n' Wesson's Da Shinin'. I'm not big on gansta rap, but you gotta show love for The Chronic. I guess there was a lot of junk hip-hop in the 90's too, but every era has a lot of junk or one hit wonders. Sorry for hatin' on the south, but I could never stomach Masta P or any of that No Limit stuff.

I listen to everything but I was huge into hip-hop, R&B, house, drum'n'bass, and reggae in the mid to late 90's since me and my cousins used to make mix tapes. Now I can't listen to a lot of the current stuff. It's either classic rock, 90's and earlier music, or sports radio. Basically I guess you can say I'm stuck in the 90's. 30 years from now I'll roll down the boulevard with my 94 Roadster listening to Jeru the Damaja's Come Clean while a bunch of kids mock me!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm lazy so heres every band I listen to a lot:

Common Rider, Operation Ivy, Rush, Stone Temple Pilots, Daft Punk, Ben Folds, Spunge, Reel Big Fish, Bad Religion, Goldfinger, Doobie Brothers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Horace Andy, Led Zepplin, Lagwagon, NOFX, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Oasis, Less than Jake, Reo Speedwagon, Sublime, Steely Dan, Styx, Journey, Save Ferris, Yes, Steve Miller Band, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Matisyahu, Dropkick Murphys, The Tossers, The Aquabats, Aventura, Journey, Against All Authority, Spunge.

Everything from irish punk to reggae, ska, and progressive rock.

·
2,708 Posts
You're a little too hard 90's hip-hop. I love all the beats DJ Premier layed out for the the likes of Gangstarr, Group Home, Nas, and Jeru the Damaja. I know it was a lot of sampling, but you saw the fusion of jazz and hip-hop. The 90's also had Tribe Called Quest who had 3 or 4 albums you could listen to from start to finish, KRS-One, and Smiff 'n' Wesson's Da Shinin'. I'm not big on gansta rap, but you gotta show love for The Chronic. I guess there was a lot of junk hip-hop in the 90's too, but every era has a lot of junk or one hit wonders. Sorry for hatin' on the south, but I could never stomach Masta P or any of that No Limit stuff.

I listen to everything but I was huge into hip-hop, R&B, house, drum'n'bass, and reggae in the mid to late 90's since me and my cousins used to make mix tapes. Now I can't listen to a lot of the current stuff. It's either classic rock, 90's and earlier music, or sports radio. Basically I guess you can say I'm stuck in the 90's. 30 years from now I'll roll down the boulevard with my 94 Roadster listening to Jeru the Damaja's Come Clean while a bunch of kids mock me!
****, you're right. Who can forget The Sun Rises in the East by Jeru, also Black Moon and even Master Ace. Tribe's Midnight Marauder was the last bearable one for me, then Q-tip went solo and ruined it.

Current radio is depressing, rappers talking about BULLSHIT nowadays, pop alternative all sound alike (except for Cold Play)....oh, I gotta love for my girl Christina Aguilara, she's only chick right now that can actually SING.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts