ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know what everyone thinks about getting a better/solid ground? I see that AUTOEXE offers them for about $250.00. I put one on our customers car about 6 months ago. It will not give you more HP but I've been told that it helps with mileage. It's very popular in Japan. Attached is the one that I installed. I haven't set a price yet.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what's the benefit of this over making your own?
Time. I looked at the parts and it is made nice even though simple. $250 is high and I won't be nowhere near that price.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
514 Posts
and here i thought the trend was towards LESS wires in the engine bay... not MORE. :|

-Jeremy

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sure why now... I just put new shielded wires in and I noticed a difference. Starts are easier and mileage did pick up a bit...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Most of us would benefit from this just by virtue of the fact that we have such old cars. Mine is 16 years old and could definitely use a rehab of hte ground system. I've known this for a while though and haven't done anything about it yet. LOL

·
This is a long user title
3,213 Posts
Isn't grounding wires only useful for electronical throttle cars ? There's a difference on mazda3s because of slow throttle response but with cable throttle I'm not sure?

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
You can get them on ebay all day long for under $30 shipped, $250 is ridiculous even if it used the 'condensers' or 'voltage stabilizers' as seen on Apex'i and Buddy Clubs getups, people must be crazy if they are buying those.

It would be hard to convince the majority of miata owners (miata.net) that these have any benefits at all. Not only that but you can usually just clean your stock grounds and achieve the same "effects." I don't see these making you much money.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is just from a LOT of car stereo experience.... Cleaning the grounding point willhelp a bit, but the majority of the cable (which is up to 17 years old now) is oxidized, and will not flow electricity as well as new cable. Also for a given cable size, say 4 awg (battery cable) you will probably see a big difference with a higher strand count wire. By this, I mean stay away from "welding" cable, and stick with car audio cables. The more surface area (higher strand count) the better. I might even suggest that an early 90 Miata would have less voltage drom from battery (rear of the car) to the alternator (front of the car) if one were to run new cable.....

Some of the stock grounds are also 8 awg cable...the grounding kits are usually 4awg wire.

On a side not, the raw cost of copper has gone up a LOT over the past year....like nearly 3 times more for the raw good. A roll of 4 awg cable used to cost me $100...that same cable is now $250. Several of the manufactures are using less copper and more jacketing (but thats a different story)...so be careful is you are going to "build" your own kit with power/ground cables from a stereo shop....not all cable is created equally...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point from all of you. I knew that I was going to get the usually ebay and DIY but as S3 Miata pointed out quality material is what counts. Something that seems as simple as a ground wire will cause major headaches. I did request and recieve a sample for a Miata,RX-7, & S2000. The quality is there and I will be carrying it.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good point from all of you. I knew that I was going to get the usually ebay and DIY but as S3 Miata pointed out quality material is what counts. Something that seems as simple as a ground wire will cause major headaches. I did request and recieve a sample for a Miata,RX-7, & S2000. The quality is there and I will be carrying it.

Jimmy
FujiRacing
Any idea when?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The things it will help would be a better ground on your headlights will make them brighter and if you put grounds around the head of the engine it will be a better spark on top end. I dont know if its true to all cars but it help my sprak proplems on my sr20det. And i made mine out of 8ga speaker wire will gold terminals.
Just a .02 on the topic

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts