ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I thought I replied to this?!!?

Anyhow, a couple of people from Miata.net have done this. I was somewhat interested too, but I'd want to see them up close before I buy.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did some searches on "ebay seats" on the pointy board. There are plenty of negative comments but mostly seem to be from people speculating. That seems to happen a lot over there. :roll:

A few folks question the fit, seller reputation and quality of materials. Another biggie is that they are most likely made in China and quality is hit or miss. Not something you want to discover in the event of an accident. :shock:

I think I'll likely wait to get some reputable race seats from a reputable dealer however I was curious.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I already got in trouble with this before, but if you're going to buy a seat try to get one that's not going to break your spine in an accident.

The seat group buy is still up in the for sale section for a couple more days.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
My buddy has a set of knockoff Brides in his honda, they lasted a year so far, but they are really worn on the drivers side.

I would say, if yer butt is riding in them, go for some JDM Mazdaspeed, RE-Amemiya, or Authentic Bride's.

PhatMiata (^_^)

·
Registered
101 Posts
i got some advice from my mechenic (who also races in formula racing), sayiing that stay w/ stock, unless u have the money to buy carbon fiber seats. What is more important? couple months of bling, and suffer from spinal injuries for the rest of ur life, or save up some money and get a safe seat?

he has friends that busted their spine because their "racing seats" (ebay ones) broke into half and the stuffs stick into the back and broke the spinal core.
not something i want to experience #-o

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
Yup...that'd be Anthony.

BTW, Bryan...never did get to meet you at MATG...hope you had a good time!

·
3,857 Posts
There is a (very friendly and helpful) guy in miata.net with a laguna blue miata that he installed a set of ebay bucket seats(blue) in his car. I think he was very happy, but -as it was mentioned above- in all these cases nobody really knows what's going to happen in an accident...that's why I personally went with the Sparco brand name - just to know that there was an engineer that designed the seat...and not some people at their back yard...

Still there are many people that wouldn't feel safe in a non-carbon fiber seat that is rated for less than 40g (Moti with his blackbird from m.net is one of them and he went with some nice Cobra seats).

Of course most of the "normal" people would laugh only by listening miata guys talking about safety (for them only an SUV is safe...but everyone has his own opinion right?)

Bottom line, see the dimensions and be prepared to cut and drill since there are not so many bucket seats out there that will fit in a miata...

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Oh yeah? Good luck getting a seat to fit in a 240sx, now that's a pain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a set of Corbeau Clubmans, they fit perfectly into the seating area of the Miata. I bought them with rails for $552 shipped so not much more than two eBay seats of questionable origin. The Clubmans are a tubular steel frame with no bars going across the back, the cushions are memory foam type cushions and are removable to facilitate a wee lower position... by sitting damn near on the floor. I drove 40 miles like that, it hurt a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts