ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any postings about the ecu harness; I have seen plenty of posts about splicing into the factory ecu harness and the worries associated with it.
There is a company who makes a ecu wiring patch harness, which allows you to plug it into your ecu on one end and has a couple of inches of wire between to splice into and the other end you plug in to your stock harness. So if you mess something up or want to undo something or even later return your car to stock, it is reversible.

The link is
http://www.autosportwiring.com
or
http://autosportwiring.com/products.htm#Mazda

I am not sure they work for pre94 as they don't have a listing for that, but
they are $139 for 94-00 and for 01+ they are $179

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Oh. Very nice! Can you say piggyback harness? I can see that being really nice for running a Megasquirt off of, and then going back to stock for emissions for those who need to be OBD2 compliant.

I wonder if they'll make me one for my Neon.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Oh. Very nice! Can you say piggyback harness? I can see that being really nice for running a Megasquirt off of, and then going back to stock for emissions for those who need to be OBD2 compliant.

I wonder if they'll make me one for my Neon.
I'd say spend the 20 bucks and get the correct obd plug from boomslang and then use that for plug/play Megasquirt. Much more affordable and the same amount of work.

Standalone usage of course.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
??? You lost me. How are you gonna run the whole car through OBD?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Oh. I thought you meant the 15-pin diagnostic plug. I know Honda guys do that all the time, i wasn't aware there was such an option for Miata (or in my case Neon) people.

My Miata is OBD1, in WA that means sniffer test, no care about CEL. My Neon is OBD2, in WA that means a pain in my ass.

Edit: Dude, they don't even OFFER a Miata OBD 0/1/2 harness option. The only thing they do is OBD2 to OBD1 for Link, not for *.standalone, or for any other year before 95 or after 97! I'm going to call BS on your statement above after 10 minutes of research on their site and stand by the point I made above.]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just came across the harness...I was looking for such a thing and thought I'd share the link. If there is a better i.e. cheaper and or easier solution then I'm all over it like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did a search on the boomslang harness and it would appear to be the same harness, and might I add, for the same price except for that shipping is a little more for the boomslang. Once again, however, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Is the boomslang single color wire? It looked to be.

I was also under the impression the one you linked wasn't an adapter, but an extension, no?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The harness I linked is a patch harness. You may think of it like an extension. The idea is you don't have to splice into your stock harness; instead you splice into the patch harness. A lot of electronics require you splice into your ecu harness to make them work; that's a touchy area especially for those who are still under warranty. As far as the color of the wires, I believe that the 94-00 harnesses are all one color but on the 01+ harnesses with select circuits, such as MAF, TPS, 12V+, Ground, RPM have been highlighted with colored wiring to aid in the installation of many devices as simple as air fuel ratio gauges, wide band o2 sensors, even super afc's, ect. My thoughts are even if the patch harness is all one color most instructions require you to splice into a particular wire causing you to research your stock harness to find the correct one and since the patch harness is an extension of the stock harness it shouldn't really matter what color the extended wire is.

and blah blah blah

Anyway I like the idea and just wanted to share.

Cheers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hm. If anyone can get the type of connector the ECU down, I'm sure we could do a group buy (well, bulk purchase split up) from DigiKey or something.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
I'm talking about actually just getting the plug that is normally inside your factory ECU... and then wiring something like a MS system directly upto it. So you unplug the ECU... and plug in the MS. Direct plug and play... not harness needed (other than the MS to Plug one you'd make, just like having to tap into a pigtail harness).

For just tapping things in, the pigtail harnesses are awesome, no question. For those liking DIY stuff... boomslang will sell plugs to you and you can do the rest yourself... just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Aha! I didn't see the "send me an empty plug" option. Nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts