ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do, Gents.

Question for ya here as I did not want to hijack Jimmy's latest thread but his ECU notations got me thinking(imagine that) and wondering - what ECU are you using with your IRTBs and importantly, why?

I ask as I need to make a choice and get one for my '04 Miata. Elyas, my IRTB maker, was using MegaSquirt. As Ive said before - while I love the MS price, I'd much rather pay for a P&P setup. The less wiring needed, the betta.

Thanks for your constructive thoughts and dicussion.

Speedwell,

FH

·
Registered
499 Posts
i am using aem ems,

i chose it because it seamed to be the best system out, plus i like the fetures, suport, and #of people using it http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php. it has and its a plug and play unit, other than wiring in the aftermarket/ non stock sensors, like map, the itb's tps, and ait sensors. a totel of like 3 ground wires, 2 5volt ref, and 3 signal wires, very easy.

i also went w/ the aem ems because the shop i got it tuned at - PURE TUNING in toledo OHIO. is a factory trained and cert. tuner on there site.. u dont wanna be the car that some one learns to tune on/ or learns a new system with. bad things could happen.

tha car is runing GREAT and i would not go anyother way.

+ that is what jimmy is running. so we can all share info. or maps if you need um :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jdmeg2,

Thanks for sharin your info. Im talking with Jimmy now about what ECU I should go with. I *think* from my discussions with him that cuz my'ata is an 04, the AEM is not as P&P as Im seeking.

I'll keep working with FujiRacing and figure out what will be the winna for my needs.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your info tho.

Thanks dude.

FH

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Well the AEM WILL control evrything you are looking for. as far as *plug'n'play" the only two ECUs I can think of are going to be Hydra and Freedom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Agent.

Ive never heard of Hydra before. Ill search here & google. See what I can dig up.

I know the issues with Freedom re: being in Japanese & support issues but in your opinion, what's the drawbacks for the Hydra?

Graziegrazie.

FH

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Check out the Hydra at Flyinmiata.com They might be the sole distributor for miata applications. it's a nice unit plus you get Flyin miata programing and tech support on it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm pretty sure it can. It runs off a MAP sensor. I'm sure FM could answer for sure. I'm pretty sure they used one on that engine with the roller IRTBs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks, Bill. My initial reaction is - whoa baby. Nice PRICE! LOL. The price we pay for a true P&P? Now I see why people are loving MegaSquirt.

Please dont get me wrong, I appreciate the lead and discussion. The price tho, takes the Hydra out of my reach. Having said this, I better be careful that Im not penny wise pound foolish. How much will I pay to have a shop install MS for me? More research, required.

On a side note: I just surfed MiataRoadster.com Bill. Nice site. Made me drool. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Speedwell,

FH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know, i'll shoot them an e-mail once the holiday blows over :)

Foo,

When you hear back re: the hydra, please let us know what the response was. So I just wtached your vid again, congrats man. Sweeeeeet! What are you using as an ECU?

·
Registered
291 Posts
FH,

Something to keep in mind with the Hydra is that a wideband o2 sensor is included. Most other ecus you'll have to pay extra for a wideband.

I don't think there is any reason that a Hydra couldn't drive an IRTB setup. IRTBs I think are inherently simpler than an FI setup. If anything, an FI ecu tune is less forgiving than a NA tune.

Bruce

·
Registered
291 Posts
FH,

No, a wideband sensor did not come with the Freedom. However, the Freedom can be ordered to accept a wideband 0-5 volt input. It would be most useful for auto-tune, but there seems to be a trend in permanent wideband installation. That is what we will be doing, installing an LM-1. There are more options for widebands now, AEM, Innovate, PLX, etc. Most can be programmed to emulate a narrowband signal to drive an OEM ecu, but the real use is for tuning mixture, and the permanent install would be good for stand alones.

In the interim, a bud loaned me his AEM wideband. We stuffed it up the tail pipe (not the most accurate way to look at Air/Fuel for a variety of reasons).

Just because the Hydra comes with the wideband doesn't make it special. Widebands aren't really that expensive anymore either. Innovate makes the LC-1 which is less than $200 for a digitally controlled sensor with programmable analog output, perfect for permanent install. I think the beauty of the Hydra setup is that it is a system, so it should be plug and tune. But if/when you have to replace the sensor, do you have to buy the hydra part or can you get the bosch part? Don't know. Innovate uses the bosch which you can get ebay or any VW dealer. Heck, the sensor costs less than an OEM narrowband for my 95!

Bruce

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Moto_Bruce,

Ahhhh, the ol "stuff it up the tail pipe" trick. Nice!

Good thinking below too, about if I buy a "system" and a part dies,
what do I have to replace with? Im betting the most expensive way possible!

So Ive been trying to read up on the LINK system, ala Kieth tanner and Miata.net

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the LINK system? Im not even sure it is suitable for an '04.

As always, thanks Bruce and you all for your help.

Speeedwell,

FH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was there ever any concesus as to whether the hydra could handle ITBs? I remember there was much deliberation but never heard the outcome :?
Update: Keith Tanner from FM emailed regarding my question to him; could I use the LINK ecu on my '04 w/IRTBs

Answer:

"There is no plug-in LINK for the '04 Miata. I'd recommend using a Hydra instead. It's a more capable ECU anyhow. It plugs right in so that's not a concern."

For a litttle under 2000.00 bukarooneys.

Ouch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TEC-II using the TPS blend function below about 5k with aggressive cams and lots of overlap.

The GT3 car runs a Motec.

Gibb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts