ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

i am new to the Miata Life and now i was debating on lowering my 2002 Titanium with Eibach Lowering springs. (35-30mm) Are only the springs good enough to lower the car or should i keep off the lowering for some time and get other shocks and springs or coilovers ?
If so do u guys have any pictures of NBFL's lowered on springs alone ?

Thanks in advance

Greets Ruben

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Spirited driving would be the max of what I would do with that set up and even then probably just to drive around town and loose that wheel gap would be ok.
the plan is now to just daily drive it and indeed lose the wheel gap. But on the other hand in the future i would like to do some track / slalom driving so then i would need to upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look up the Bilstein coilover conversion. Affordable way of getting performance suspension while getting rid of that wheel gap. Do you have OE Bilsteins currently?
that is actually a good question will need to look at the current setup. cause only got it for 2 weeks now so still need to learn a lot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi MiataRuben, Have you considered any other brand besides Eibach? Also, why Eibach if you don't mind me asking?
i would consider others but here in Belgium once a year we need to go to inspection and the eibach ones could be ordered from Mazda itself so it would be less hassle to get them trough inspection. but that would be the only point i can make about the eibach ones.

But how do the stock shocks handle lowering springs. Cause i have a feeling that they are quite soft shocks cause of the body roll when braking and turning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ic, thanks for the explanation. I was considering Eibach/AGXs as I've had them on my other vehicles in the past. I'm still researching other springs that are available specifically for an NB.

I may settle for Flyin Miata, but I'm concern about the spring rates.

As far as stock shocks handling lowering springs, I suspect that from the collection of information i've gathered lurking on the forums it would only be a matter of time before you need to replace them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i am not to good at all the different spring rates and what could be best so if u could inform me a bit about these that would be handy. Maybe we can find something that is suited best then for the NB(FL). Cause i think if the springs are black they don't directly notice them at inspection so maybe there is a way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well i am not to good at all the different spring rates and what could be best so if u could inform me a bit about these that would be handy. Maybe we can find something that is suited best then for the NB(FL). Cause i think if the springs are black they don't directly notice them at inspection so maybe there is a way.

This is what i’ve reached so far for the rates

Stock
Sport Suspension - 162F/118R
Hard S - 168F/130R

We would want to be as close as possible to those ranges.

Flyin Miata
Front springs: 318 lb/in
Rear springs: 233 lb/in

By the looks of it, i believe FM and Eibach are the only black springs.

Eibach Pro Kit rates:
228 F/ 137R

H&R
---
F (progressive) 240-270 lbs/inch
R (progressive) 220-260 lbs/inch

Tein-HA coilovers
-----------------
F (linear) 336 lbs/inch
R (linear) 280 lbs/inch

Racing Beat
-----------
street F (linear) 209 lbs/inch
street R (linear) 113 lbs/inch

race F (linear) 226 lbs/inch
race R (linear) 122 lbs/inch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm so actually to keep the stock shocks untill i can get a good coilover setup the eibachs wouldn't be to bad i think

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did more research on springs. There's been a lot of subjective responses. It's difficult to determine what would meet your needs. I may resort to non-dampering full coil over setup. I'm concern about having to re-do the install as i'm not as young as i use to be :D.

I believe that the spring should be matched with an appropriate shock. I've read through various threads.

I've narrowed it down to the following as i'd like to stay within the 800-1200 USD budget. These allow heigh adjustment. Some of the coil overs don't allow for dampering adjustments. I'll probably go with KW, Bilstein, or ST.

Tein Street Advance 391F/335R
Tein Street flex 392F/362R
*Replacement Tein springs 335F/279R
MeisterR Coilover 335F/279R
KW Variant 1 400F/340R
Bilstein PSS b14 335F/223R
ST X Coilover 391F/335R

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts