ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to making a build thread since its the trendy thing to do. Previous car was a WRX wagon so its a slight change as far as utility and hp but I'll manage.

The wagon was a freaking blast but I wanted something I could abuse more often and do so cheaply, and reading new threads on Nabisco every day about spun bearings was wasnt making me happy despite never having any issues other than the a/c. So around June of 2010 I found an'02 Miata with 24k miles:

Literally within a few hours of getting it home I started looking for ways to make me fit in the damn car. And a few minutes after doing that, I learned that what I read about raising the steering column apparently only applies to NA's. Oh well. Three days later I finally got a picture of the whole car.

Oddly enough, I hate tan interiors and silver cars, but it had low miles, no damage (on the test drive I drove down to a car wash and tore apart everything I could looking for signs of repair) and no mods so it's a keeper.
Six days later, got rid of the "wood" thanks to The Parts Group

....but I'm keeping the knob. Also started tearing apart the doors to see what I needed to do to get rid of the Bose crap as soon as possible.
Random:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
7/2/10 First foamectomy, done in the middle of the night for some reason

7/6/10 Got rid of the airbag switch (saftey first!)

7/17/10 Then started getting rid of the Bose stuff.

7/21/10 Came up with this plan, those are plastic cutting boards from WalMart....

7/25/10 First autocross with this car, all stock with whatever crappy Nexen tires the dealer put on. Managed 2nd in Tire(CS) and was slightly surprised I beat an NC on Dunlops.

7/30/10 ......yup

8/1/10 Finally got sick of no music

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8/9/10 Planned on putting subs back here, then thought about where the rollbar would mount. Decided not to put subs there. Then decided not to get a rollbar.

Dont remember when but sometime the urge for utility struck, had to get a hitch

If you ever want to know how to remove the Bose amp, make it look like this and then you can shove it out the bottom corner of the passenger side dash

1/11 Finished up the radio/guage pod sometime in January

Then good times happened. The gf and I went to Atlanta, hit a steel plate in the road and bent a wheel or 2. couldnt find the damage and planned on getting new wheels soon anyway so I did'nt care.
Then good times happened. Again. Another trip out of town resulted in this:

Both wheels on the passenger side, sidewalls on both tires were bubbled as well. So about a week later I had 15x9 6uls with 225/45 RS-3's, Ground Controls with 440/325 springs (stock hard-s Bilsteins) and a one way ticket to STR class, which was sort of the plan anyway.

In keeping with the theme of not getting colors I wanted, bronze was all that was available unless I wanted to wait 2 months, and TireRack was out of the 15x8 kosei's that I wanted for daily use.

4/20/11 First autocross with the STR setup, 2nd place in class

5/1/11 Was in 1st after the 3rd run but everyone in the class decided to do their best run on their last, so I got bumped to 3rd :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5/23/11 Made this

5/25/11 3rd in STR
5/28/11 (and a couple of other days) Finally got around to adding more weight to the car

6/17/11 Removed trunk release and antenna cables while installing the amp

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
7/8/11 Foamectomy #2

Then the next day I tore my other ACL, which sucks because I missed an autocross on the 10th. ......which sucks even more because if I had done well at that event I would have had a chance to end up second overall for the year in the Day Series.

7/18/11 My remote was in my pocket and my car was outside beeping at me. So this happened when I got home

8/6/11 No more chrome headlights

8/10/11 Night Series #5, 3rd place in class, surgery the following morning

As a result of me tearing my ACL, I talked the doctor into doing both of them; I had torn the other one a few years earlier and was having issues with it sooooo......this happened

Thankfully I still had the Subaru to drive since getting in the Miata would be a pain in the ass.

Sometime over the past few months I decided to part out the WRX and sell it, and as luck would have it, the person that was interested in it called me while I was in the hospital and said he had the cash now. There goes that plan....
Then something arrived

8/20/11 Got some help from a friend since I wasnt exactly the most mobile person at the time

Ordered this from GarageStar, USPS decided it shouldnt be straight

Ken, being an awesome person, handled it...............though I still have not installed it.
9/23/11

9/24/11 .......oops.

9/26/11 Racing Beat small hollow bar and AWR endlinks installed

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
11/4/11 Picked this up from JakeLS01

11/5/11 .....all that extra power made me spin

11/24/11 ARP studs up front

12/2/11 Finally got some wheels for daily use, 15x8. Proceeded to sand them to paint them...

1/13/12 Hated the Ohlins so I got these to replace them

...............not really, I got those from The Parts Group to use if I ever needed to take the Ohlins off.

But I did want to change the spring rates on them, 700/400 Hypercoils came the same day.

1/14/12 Painted and installed...I'm not thrilled

1/25/12 We had our awards banquet with HSCC, I ended up 2nd in STR for the year in the Night Series, and 4th in the Day Series

Best trophy ever....

1/29/12 Yanked the coilovers off in order to swap springs and take them up to Ohlins to have them revalved

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Nice build thread man, think i'm sold on ditching my plaswood bezel and getting a black one, bronze may not of been your first choice but it looks great on the silver.

You say you decided against a rollbar, is that a style bar instead?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1/30/12 The awesome thing about being only 40 minutes away from Ohlins is same day service. Dropped them off that morning, installed them that night.

2/11/12 One of the last sets that TireRack had in stock. Discount Tire, who I would have preferred to order from, was already out.

2/11/12 Some random parts, autocross the following week

2/18/12 First event with the new tires, springs and brake pads; car feels worlds better but I'm not that thrilled with the brake pads (Carbotech 1521) but they are better than what was on there.

3/3/12 Racing Beat goodness

3/15/12

3/17/12 A pile of parts that would have been installed if I had not had yet another surgery at the beginning of March (except for the intake, that was just being cleaned). Also cleaned the engine bay while I couldnt walk.

3/26/12 Doctors said I could walk again so I did this

4/13/12 Headers wrapped and installed

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started another project. This templete worked fine but I transferred it to a stiffer material and I dont really like it now so I'm working on a few changes...

5/10/12 Finally got another gauge

5/19/12 .............yup

6/15/12 Ordered some bushings from JSC and installed most of them. Didnt touch the bottom ones yet because I dont want to mess with the camber bolts just yet, I am trying to save what little bit of decent alignment I have left until later this month when I can hopefully borrow some scales to corner balance it and then get it aligned.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice build thread man, think i'm sold on ditching my plaswood bezel and getting a black one, bronze may not of been your first choice but it looks great on the silver.

You say you decided against a rollbar, is that a style bar instead?
Thanks, I think it looks good with the bronze wheels but in general I'd prefer black wheels...

And yes, I forgot about the bitchin style bar story. It came with the car and i thought it looked a little less gay with it so I left it (yes I know the horrors....). I removed it this year to save weight, which is the same reason I'm not getting a rollbar right now. Until I can catch a well prepped, well driven S2000 on a regular basis then I'm probably not adding a rollbar. I will eventually though in order to do HPDE's, just not this year and maybe not next year too....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this build is awesome! omg ohlins... i wonder how they compare with the xida-s...
Thanks, I was deciding between Ohlins and Xida's but at the time there was a wait for the Xida's. And I have always wanted Ohlins, which were 40 mintues away. Very happy I got them, they have been great.

Which Exhaust is that? Sound clip?

car looks really nice man.
Thank you, its the Roadster Sport 3 with the stock midpipe. That will be changed eventually but I assume it will have to be custom since I only want a cat and no resonator. No sound clips, I might stick my GoPro on the back of the car one day and see how it works out though...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to see that intake was put to good use! By the way, I still do appreciate you sending that MAF back!
Indeed it is, thanks again! Now if only I'd get off my ass and finish that heatshield.....
I still laugh at that because my first thought was something like "wow K&N sure is thorough if they included that":lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jason at Enthuza makes them, they're just not up on his site yet :bouncin:
Yeah, I spoke with him a few months ago about making one then put that on hold while I worked trying to finish up the suspension. I'll get that figured out sometime soon though...

6/16/12 These were all of my runs from a recent autocross, got 1st in class. The first one I stuck the camera under the car, interesting seeing how much movement there is in the lower control arm (the 2 bushings where the LCA attach to the subframe are still the OEM rubber bushings). I'll have to do this again after I swap them to see what difference it makes....

6/24/12 Random pic from a friend at my last autocross, 1st in STR

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
7/8/12 I think I've had this sitting around since November or something and just now got around to polishing and installing it. There is a picture earlier of the first one that was sent , which USPS decided needed to be bent. Sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000, then 3 passes with Mothers comound using the powerball and finally one more pass by hand. Both the wiper cowl cover and radiator panel (which was installed earlier) are from GarageStar.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts