ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, everyone. I found this link on /r/miata, which I know isn't the best place for technical discussion, but wanted to ask what you guys thought of it. Anyone tried this/anyone seen it? Based on what the OP said it seems like a great, cheap alternative for a little bit of extra power.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like it's been posted before, my b for not searching. Consensus seems to be that it's crap and not worth it.

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Hey, everyone. I found this link on /r/miata, which I know isn't the best place for technical discussion, but wanted to ask what you guys thought of it. Anyone tried this/anyone seen it? Based on what the OP said it seems like a great, cheap alternative for a little bit of extra power.
Within it's limits and installed right it has its place I imagine. Hmm it would be easy to slap onto my MAf'd ITB rig as I run a plenum and the MAF simplifies tuning when a change has taken place. i bet it could be done less expensively too. However lots of effort must have (or should have) gone into the sizing and controller aspects.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Jesus Fucking Christ...
Hold on there, he's not talking about the chinsey eBay junk that's just a fancy fan shoved into the intake plumbing. It's actually a motor that spins ~50,000 rpm and creates a decent amount of boost (dyno proven). I thought the same thing you did initially until I clicked the link.

IMO at a $1,600 price tag I'd just go traditional belt driven SC for $2,000. But this is a very neat concept and if it works as everyone says it does then I have no qualms about it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I think they're a very cool concept. They allow for greater power for a very little weight penalty and I'm willing to get automotive manufacturers can utilize these to actually increase fuel economy. I would never want one because it would drain the battery too quick at the track, but it'd be great on a car like the Honda CR-Z. 200whp 1.5L electronic motor and supercharged assist. Quick enough when you want it, but still capable of 40mpg.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I think they're a very cool concept. They allow for greater power for a very little weight penalty and I'm willing to get automotive manufacturers can utilize these to actually increase fuel economy. I would never want one because it would drain the battery too quick at the track, but it'd be great on a car like the Honda CR-Z. 200whp 1.5L electronic motor and supercharged assist. Quick enough when you want it, but still capable of 40mpg.
I think they run their own standalone battery, and it recharges itself relatively quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts