ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,

So I had a crack in my coolant reservoir for my water / air last weekend. Changed it today, filled it with coolant and started the car - and nothing. The coolant wasn't circulating at all. The previous owner said it may have been an air lock so drove the car for 10 mins in the hope that it would free it up but still nothing. I shone a light behind the plastic inlet / outlet pipes on the pump and it does seem like the coolant is getting to / from it as I saw the green tinge of the coolant in the pipes.

I think the pump may be dead.

Anything else I could try?

What pump should I get if I need one?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Check for power at the pump. If it has it, whack it a few times wile the key is on. If it stills isn't working get a new pump.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the pump was running with nothing in the system, depending on the type of pump, it could very well be fried. Also, some pumps (again don't know what type you're using) need to be primed with liquid before they start up. But most likely you just need a new one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When I first installed my system I didn't have the pump low enough, it was low but the wet end of the pump needs to be the lowest point of the system. I could prime it and get it to run but if any air got into the system it would air lock again. This is something to look into. The attached picture is the final place I put the pump, I now have a self priming system. Also you should be able to hear the pump if its running. A very low hum .... put your ear near to it to hear it or use your mechanics stethoscope.

Edit: The photo is the initial position, it's now lower than that.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts