ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take it all the crap on the passenger side corner (near the windshield washer fluid) is for the charcoal canister, yes?

Anyone have any idea if its possible to remove these components without any ill effects? I've been trying to simplify the NB here, and all those parts make me sick just looking at them.

Post some pics of clean NB engine bays (especially 99-00), i'm curious as to what others have done!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
it's an emissions device..... takes the place of the vented gas cap on old cars ...... if you remove it there will be a nasty gas smell, and prolly a CEL also

What it actually does is take the fumes from the gas tank, run them through a charcoal filter (the canister itself), and into the intake manifold itself where they are burned by the engine during the combustion process....

there has to be a way to remove or relocate it however.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my S13 track car, it was a larger canister more like that of the NA Miata models. The NB looked rather different, and I wasnt sure exactly how the system works. I've read that the canister exists in the rear of the car, and not sure exactly what the additional components are in the front of the car.

Anyway, I've been eliminating a good amount of stuff on the car.. and just looking to further clean things up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, but the canister in all the '99-'05 Miatas is in the back of the car next to the fuel tank

it's an emissions device..... takes the place of the vented gas cap on old cars ...... if you remove it there will be a nasty gas smell, and prolly a CEL also

What it actually does is take the fumes from the gas tank, run them through a charcoal filter (the canister itself), and into the intake manifold itself where they are burned by the engine during the combustion process....

·
Registered
280 Posts
In front there is a small overflow catch tank

On my S13 track car, it was a larger canister more like that of the NA Miata models. The NB looked rather different, and I wasnt sure exactly how the system works. I've read that the canister exists in the rear of the car, and not sure exactly what the additional components are in the front of the car.

Anyway, I've been eliminating a good amount of stuff on the car.. and just looking to further clean things up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yes there is a small charcoal canister up front.... I know specifically because I had to install a one way check valve when I installed my turbo setup.... to keep boost pressure out

·
Registered
280 Posts
yes there is a small charcoal canister up front....
It is not a charcoal canister - there is not charcoal in it - it is empty. It is an overflow tank and its purpose is to save your intake manifold from flooding. It dosn't do anything about the fuel odors (they just pass through it. The charcoal canister of the NB cars is moved to the rear of the car near the tank

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hmmmmm....... works for me man! Under what circumstances would the intake manifold flood????? and would it be with fuel, or an excess of fuel vapor?

would there be an issue then with removing the canister itself and replacing it with a more attractive, relocated, "catch can" of some sort?

or even just deleting the canister and replacing it with vacuum line?

M

·
0 Posts
It is not a charcoal canister - there is not charcoal in it - it is empty. It is an overflow tank and its purpose is to save your intake manifold from flooding. It dosn't do anything about the fuel odors (they just pass through it. The charcoal canister of the NB cars is moved to the rear of the car near the tank
Mr. Man O'Love,

Are you saying that these two parts from NA vs. NB (that are similar looking, both mounted in the same place on the passenger side of the engine bay, and are both plumbed to the fuel tank return line) are not both called "charcoal canisters" and do not perform the same function?:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, just curious...

are you sure the charcoal canister pictured above is on the NB, and mounted in the engine bay? ALL of the fuel related devices on the damn NB use special fuel lines (these stupid plastic ones with locking connectors). Either way, just wanted to check.. because it doesnt look familiar (unless I am not thinking straight).

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts

Perfect description

You can remove the charcoal canister. a little mods on the charcoal canister solenoid is necessary to be done in order to not have an error code on the ECU (indeed this solenoid is noticed as an input device on the ECU)

I've done this Mods on my Familia GTR and I have no problem at all.

* on the top of the charcoal canister, there is 2 hoses. one from the line who comes from the fuel tank and another one who comes from the intake manifold.

- remove the canister and both the hoses.
The idea is to replace the canister with a fuel hose with a little filter who will go under the chassis.

Here the charcoal canister =

For the curious like me, and to answer to J_man, yes there is charcoal inside the canister (little grains) =

Here the Hose with the small filter =

* So, in place of the hose who comes from the fuel tank line you can fit now your new hose with the filter. This hose will run under the chassis.
* for the second hose (from the intake manifold) you had to block up this line.
(this line will be use later for your Turbo upgrade if you want to fit a boost gauge :mrgreen: )

on my Familia it's like this =
(the charcoal canister was situated on the circle)

* Now there is a last thing to do...
- take a little hose and now just link up the "in" to the "out" on the solenoid
like that =

IMPORTANT = You can remove the canister but you can't remove the charcoal canister solenoid, it had to be always connected (plug)

I hope it will help you guys :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are you saying that these two parts from NA vs. NB (that are similar looking, both mounted in the same place on the passenger side of the engine bay, and are both plumbed to the fuel tank return line) are not both called "charcoal canisters" and do not perform the same function?:
Correct. They do not perform the same function

Top picture of yours is a charcoal canister from a NA (the container with 3 barbs - two on top one on bottom) . It is full of charcoal and sits in the NA engine bay near the intake manifold.

The bottom picture of yours is an overflow catch tank from a NB. It is empty. It is much smaller (your pictures don't show the real size difference clearly) and has just two barbs on top. It stays in the NB engine bay near the intake manifold.
The NB cars also have a charcoal canister but it is moved near the fuel tank.

·
Registered
280 Posts
and to answer to J_man, yes there is charcoal inside the canister (little grains)
I didn't have a question. As I said above - I already know the NA charcoal canister (in the engine bay) and the NB charcoal canister (near the gas tank) are full of charcoal.
And I also already know that the NB catch tank (in the engine bay) is empty.

Maybe you were just answering your own question ... :p

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm going to have to extend the vacuum lines..... and put something more attractive in it's place since it's just a resevoir then....

·
Registered
16 Posts
and to answer to J_man, yes there is charcoal inside the canister (little grains)

Maybe you were just answering your own question ... :p
not really... I've done a mistake to think that my charcoal canister (in my Familia GTR) was the same as yours. WE both have a BP engine, I don't undertsand why mazda have done different system of charcoal canister.

But it's ok, you know perfectly your NB like I know perfectly my Familia GTR... I'm here to learn (and if I can, help with my experience on BP turbo engines) on miatas

·
Registered
280 Posts
WE both have a BP engine, I don't undertsand why mazda have done different system of charcoal canister.

But it's ok, you know perfectly your NB like I know perfectly my Familia GTR... I'm here to learn (and if I can, help with my experience on BP turbo engines) on miatas

eikichi, I have a NA but I know stuff about NB too

In '99 Mazda changed the fuel evaporation system along with the entire fuel system - they moved the fuel pressure regulator and the return line to the fuel tank too (vs NA Miatas which have the fuel pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail and the return line going all the way to the engine bay) and switched to just one fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel rail.

If I remember correct it was all emissions standards related

1 - 20 of 22 Posts