ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone installed an engine damper? wondering how does it affect the feel of the car? I know it doesn't make the car faster, but if it makes it smoother i wouldn't mind picking one up.

·
4,436 Posts
Does nothing much for HP increase per se - spend your $$ elsewhere, but there is an acceleration diffference based on the damper preventing or dampening the movement of the engine under heavy RPM's.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Jimmy said it helped a lot on his car to reduce rocking even with his Mazdaspeed motor mounts. I don't have one but that doesn't stop me from giving an opinion on the subject. I imagine it helps make upshifts feel a little more crisp and makes the throttle response feel a smidgen sharper. Only you can determine how sensitive you are to this. I wouldn't use an engine damper as a substitute for replacing worn out or damaged motor mounts.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Freedomgli is right if you have worn motor mounts I would replace those first. Taka @ A-RF always uses them on his cars so I decided to start carrying them and they do work and will stay on my car. My engine use to rock like mad on start up with my IRTB's until it warmed up. Our Engine Damper is the same as all of your JDM shops carry. We carry them in Red or Blue.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
1,213 Posts
Does nothing much for HP increase per se - spend your $$ elsewhere, but there is an acceleration diffference based on the damper preventing or dampening the movement of the engine under heavy RPM's.
Peter
What type of damper is that on your car ?
I am looking to get one for my IRTB setup but I am also using my cusco front brace so I have fitment issues with the tuckin99/A-RF type !

·
4,436 Posts
Peter
What type of damper is that on your car ?
I am looking to get one for my IRTB setup but I am also using my cusco front brace so I have fitment issues with the tuckin99/A-RF type !
Ahhhhh-soooo - this was given to me by Team Aizawa and I modified the bracket a bit for my 1.8. I am sure it is a cobbled together motorcycle unit with shop parts, etc.

I need to find out if mind is adjustible or not - as it is VERY siff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:!: Other than looking cool as hell, I would say don't waste the $$$$$$. I good set of motor mounts would do the trick. But it's all in what you are going for........Peter you still haven't figured out how to adjust that thing??? Whats up with that?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes but a hardware store bracket will remove nearly all compliance which could have unintended consequences. A damper will dampen the motion but not necessarily prevent motion. It really depends on how stiff the valving is. They do look cool as hell, though.

·
4,436 Posts
And what Kyle says is true - if you do not dampen you will crack the engine block - I have seen this with badly mounted S/C blowers - that area where the engine is mounted need to have care, etc. But you can buy the motorcycle steering dampers cheaply enough on ebay - and then find your own hardware.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hrm.

Ya know... the firstgen Neons use one of those as a rear engine mount... it's subtle, it's black, Mopar Performance makes a cheap, upgraded unit.

Hrm. I think i'm gonna find me a bobble strut in my crap at home and see if I can make a damper! I just wasn't sure how I wanted to bracket it to clear my strut brace until now.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The FujiRacing Engine Damper is only $89. For those who want the ultimate in engine bay bling you could adopt an Öhlins steering damper to fit.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok... the Ohlins is hotness. :)

... 89.00? Hrm. Maybe after I figure out how much of a difference it makes with a 5.00 prototype. ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hrm.

Ya know... the firstgen Neons use one of those as a rear engine mount... it's subtle, it's black, Mopar Performance makes a cheap, upgraded unit.

Hrm. I think i'm gonna find me a bobble strut in my crap at home and see if I can make a damper! I just wasn't sure how I wanted to bracket it to clear my strut brace until now.
Well, I don't know if you could really call it an engine mount, per se...It's more of an anti-torque strut, can't remember exactly what the dealer called them....on neons.org it's always just 'bobble strut' :lol:

I replaced my shot one with the booger unit...combined with deyeme flex/firm mounts, my Neon was one shaky car :twisted:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hrm.

Well, I don't know if you could really call it an engine mount, per se...It's more of an anti-torque strut, can't remember exactly what the dealer called them....on neons.org it's always just 'bobble strut' :lol:

I replaced my shot one with the booger unit...combined with deyeme flex/firm mounts, my Neon was one shaky car :twisted:
Gah, what do they call them, I think maybe it's just torque-damping strut or some such. Strangely, I actually went away from solid mounts. My ACR is just one big echo chamber, my final mount setup has been a Quickor bobble (the one now being sold by Vitor) and stock mounts the rest of the way around... keep the mounts in good shape, and wheelhop wasn't a problem. I think that was mostly because I lost the ability to romp the throttle sometime after I added the first 2.4l and had to learn to modulate throttle. ;)

But yeah, I've got a stock unit, and I think an MP one somwhere... it should make for a nice compromise between breaking things, and having nothing. If it doesn't work, i'm out a whopping however much the scrap steel and electricity to run the plasma cutter cost me. ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
peter-

how do you explain the change in acceleration? The engine damper at most prevents 20 degrees of engine rotation per gear, which equates to less than the firing of 2 cylinders for a full run through 5 gears.

Why do you think limiting this movement changes acceleration?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts