ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Idk if its normal but my head is really noisy on my car. When im accelerating you can really hear my vavles and springs clearly. Its kinda lame and annoying. Is this bad, normal? Is there a easy/cheap way to fix it until i upgrade everything?

Let me know.
thanks.

92 OEM
1.6l

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Other than running thicker oil, I'd say WELCOME TO DRIVING A MIATA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i was thinkin the miatas were all like that. My old 93 did the same thing. I sold that cause it was auto. I love my new 92 5-speed. I found that it is equal in a race with a stock ej8 civic

·
Registered
459 Posts
put a qt. of ATF in the motor, and idle for 5min. before flushing it out and pouring in new oil.

try this on your next oil change. atf has considerable more contents of detergents, and that should free up the valves some. and use some thicker oil maybe like he suggested.

it won't cure completely of the valve ticking...but i get about 5 secs. of ticking on start-up only, and its gone. only comes back when driving when its a lil overdue for another oil change.

see if any improvements.

^^or 1.8 swap...hehe, j/k. they all do the same.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't sound like someone dropping little rocks onto metal!? :D
That would be ping..
Lift noise w. a 1.6 and early 1.8 is pretty normal.. usually if you beat on it they'll pump up and quiet down.. but then after the car sits they'll start rattling again.
Annoying yes, but part of most early miatas. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill try all the suggestions. I was planning on swapping in a 1.8. But i also get a bad squeeling noise at start up too. I think its my belts but they look fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts