ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i could get a japanese domestic engine for my Miata for $550. it has around 55k miles on it though and have 6 weeks warranty after installation in case anything happens. OR i can rebuild my broken one for about $800+. which option is better? as in stability, liability, etc.? is it riskier to get the new engine (55k miles)?

thanks everyone for your responses! 1990 miata 1.6L

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Seems to me you'll be better off w/ a swap from a newer car as long as it's a 1.6, unless you have everything to do the 1.8 swap. You get a warranty and a newer motor w/o the dreaded short-nose crank problems.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Why does everyone want a JDM engine so badly? They are the same!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have lived in japan for over 20 years. the japanese government DOES NOT make you swap out engines. it does require an inspection every 2 years and this inspection cost about [email protected] this includes the inspection, weight and road taxes, if anything needs to be fixed or replaced it costs more. so it is not cost effective to keep a car longer than 10 years unless you really like the car. i have a '91 with only 72,000 miles and rarely does it go over 60 mph. 50 mph is the maximum speed limit on expressways. most places the speed limit is 35 mph. perhaps that is why jdm engines are desired.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
True JDM engines are desirable because of lower mileage and well, they're not beaten on as much as us US guys put them through.

·
Registered
245 Posts
just a question...whats the ej205? i know of the ej20 from wrx and the ej25from STI...never heard of the ej205

·
Registered
563 Posts
Normally I would say rebuild but if you can get a low mileage swap that cheap DO IT!!! It will save you time and headache. You may want to look into doing a 1.8 swap its not much more and will deliver a lot more power and the only thing I think you need is a throttle body adapter plate

·
Registered
147 Posts
personally i want a ej205 in my miata
i had a dream about 6 months ago that i built a miata with a subie engine...ive always wanted one in it ever since.

^sorry off topic
tried measuring, i don't think it fits, it's too wide.
i think you mean the EJ207 with the forged internals and semi-closed block
the EJ205 is the US WRX engine with the cast internals and open deck block.

i agree that you might as well go with a EJ25 because the width is the same as the EJ20, plus you get the extra .5L and with the right set up you can rev up to 8500 RPM.

personally, i have always been a E30 M3 fan so needless to say i have been looking for a S14 EVO engine for the longest time without luck. i would love to have that beast in my 10AE

·
Mufasa in Training
32,632 Posts
Let's keep on topic, folks. What kind of options does our intrepid OP have?

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
i'd do the jdm for low miles and 1.8 swap while you were at it. flyin miata offers a kit. might want to also get trans to while you are at it cause its probly tired also.

now for the ej people a ej22 is god (2.2 liter limited run engine)(been a while since i was in the subaru seen)
good motor crappy trans couldn't hold 400hp

·
Registered
344 Posts
Swap in a 1.8 with a wolf or megasquirt plug in ECU.

A mate did that with a pod filter and cat back, he's now making 124hp at the wheels, a nice upgrade from his NA6.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts