ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. This Sunday is the day, pulling my motor and transmission and the trans will be rebuilt. Once we have the motor torn down we're gonna get an entire rebuild kit, new pistons, rings etc and send the head off to be magnafluxed and worked.
I am no mechanic and my Dad's the old school Mopar guy; I want to be confident we're gonna do this right.

The car is a '94 5spd with 153,xxx miles. Besides the pistons, rings, gaskets & seals, oil pump, bearings and the head shave what else is to be done with the motor out.
Yes this a spoonfeeding thread but I would so so appreciate it.

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah for sure, we had just done the TB and WP and within 2,000 miles, if that, and I parked it.
Not saying I doubt you but is there anything else? Seems pretty complex to me as a novice.

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. haha My Dad knows this like the back of his hand but I think in the back o my mind I'm concerned he's rebuilt 318s, 340s, 60s, you name it really but never a modern inline 4 cylinder with modern problems and such.
What if any sensors are replaceable with the motor pulled?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Can I get a PM as well? I would like to know :)

As for info, check out YouTube. "Motorz" is rebuilding a engine, though not a miata, I would suppose most of it applies.

I would also like to know how to rebuild, I don't see replacing pistons as hard, but I don't want to screw up a block just because I pushed them out from the bottom. Also, as a newb I could buy a hone to put on a drill and possibly screw up by honing too much. So, it's not that I don't want to do it, it's just the little details one picks up with experience. :-/

also, a course at your local community college helps. After I finish school (ironic), I'll take a few courses on engines. Anyone know how this compares to a experienced engine builder, as I would like to save money?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts