ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got my car up and running this morning. it idles great. but when i drive every now and then i get a quick rpm drop and the check engine light comes on. but it doesnt completely stall because my cd player stays on. is it timing that is causeing this? what can i do to fix it? please help me out...im so tired of all these problems.

thanks,
tim

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Re: engine stalling while driving....HELP

I had the same problem when first got my car. Replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs but it ended up being the igniter. Do you sometimes have problems with the car starting back up after it stalls?

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Unless your timing was really off maybe. But I doubt it. I would check your o2 sensors. Tell us more about the motor. Did you just swap another 1.6 in? Also check your air intake track. When i first did my greddy kit using the stock intake, it blew the hose off the intake mainifold slightly where it looked normal, but my car would just stall when I would try to drive it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it doesnt completely stall to where i have to start the car again. i overheated the motor last week and got my head rebuilt and replaced the water pump.thats about all i did. its nonturbo. i also got new wires. the car start right up thats why im rulling out timing and it idles great. my friend had this problem with his 240 and it ended up being the ignitor...so...keep the info comin...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k...i just went for a ride and i thought maybe my battery was loose but it still has the same problem...it also overheated. im super confused.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Sounds like you need a 1.8 swap.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/\ imma do that but i want to drive my car till i can afford it.

it only does the rpm drop/slight stall after 3k rpms. i just now noticed it does it when im stopped to, but it only does it after 3k...

*it also smokes slightly when the rpms drop/slightly stall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
does the fan come on,while your cruising?
did you change your thermistat?
id be woried about the overheating.your car might be going into limp mod.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the fan works...i got a new thermostat 2 months ago. but it did overheat last week. and i ended up blowin the headgasket.

what do u mean "limp mode"? this doesnt sound good. lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: engine stalling while driving....HELP

fixed it...

...forgot to ground the motor to the chassis...

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its back agian...

it does it all the time now...it runs REALLY rich and the rpms jump at idle and while im driving now..

...imma get a new fuel filter tomorrow and maybe spark plugs....if there is any other things it could be let me know.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check all of your grounds you may need to reset your timing since the ground was off the motor.

ymmv

·
Registered
420 Posts
Also, a minor idle correction may help aswell.. as we found out with ultimateforce's miata. His car was stalling due too low of an idle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
try what kung=fu said. you just had a rebuild head...check the brake booster hoses for vacuum leak from installation. it can also be early signs of stuck iacv...but it'll fluctuate uncontrollably with a consistant pulse...how about leaks along the intake piping?

don't rule out vacuum problems. they're cheaper to address first! and free to diagnose yourself.

good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts