ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for an NB 99

can an engine swap be done w/ just hand tools? what special tool needed? i'm taking my time getting the it slowly.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, it's possible, MotorManiac and I are more or less in the middle of one right now :lol: Coincidentally, it's on a '99.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just took my '99 engine 3 weeks ago with just hand tools. You don't need anything special, but having 2 ratchets and a big breaker bar would help.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so far i've taken the radiator out and it seems doable...

thanks for the verification.

·
Registered
87 Posts
very doable, like luv2turn says :D but be prepared to spend ALOT of time with a wrench in your hand ^.^

...oh and make sure you have a sledge handy. None of my bolts where torqued to spec!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Lets see you will need a 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and a 19mm wrench/socket & ratchet. With that you will be able to take apart the entire car. If you do not have a engine hoist buy/beg/borrow/ or steal one (Harbor Freight is supposedly having a huge sale this weekend). Also get a load leveler bar (makes the next statement much easier).

Don't make a rookie mistake and try to pull only the motor out and leave the Tranny in. Disconnect the drive shaft from the diff, slide the splined end out of the tranny, and pull the tranny out with it. This will make it much easier to line up the tranny for the re-install.

Prolly to much info but better safe than sorry

Hoist:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93840

Leveler:
http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/enginesling.html

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys will be hearing me when i get stump

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put a newer (and blinged out) engine back into my 98 NB this week.

You really want a "leveler" on your engine crane, it makes everything a lot easier.

Only other thing that I don't think has been mentioned is a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm stuck. where is the fuel lines to the nb?

i'm suppose unplug it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Look from the intake manifold side, about half way along. They're attached to the side of the engine bay, make sure you mark which hose attaches to which hard line so you can put it all back in properly.

You can just make out the two "soft" lines in this photo, to the left of the engine in the grayed out section. Just behind the intake manifold brace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts