ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys hows it going. I was driving last week and my car started blowing allot of smoke but didn't overheat due to me being super easy on it on the way home.I assumed i had a blown head gasket. But if i stayed less than half throttle no smoke and no sputtering so i changed the head gasket. Now it runs smooth no smoke or anything but i have yet to pull it out of my drive way becuase of the mean head ticking and the noise it makes when I rev it with no load on it. I have a video on my Facebook so heres a link to that, help me if you can I need this car asap!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151112294970230

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Link does not work...

If you had the cylinder head off...and now that it is running there is a big ticking noise in the cylinder head area..it is probably the lifters, which will go away after a bit. Your profile shows a 96 Miata, which has hydraulic lifters. typical problem on startup after head removal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Careful with the ticking.

If you changed the head gasket and weren't scrupulously clean, you might have gotten some debris in the engine. I changed my head gasket a month ago and was lazy about cleanliness. Shortly afterward I had a knocking engine. I honestly thought the noise was due to HLAs.

Post mortem of the short block revealed some kind of hard debris in the main bearing closest to the oil pump and a badly grooved crank.

Don't mean to scare you- but be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since the link didnt show up for you guys its actually rod knock :( i had some other forums help as well thankyou for the help with the head ticking it puts me at ease knowing i at least fixed what i thought was wrong lol it runs smooth as sick but when i go to rev it the rod knocks and now i gotta build the bottom end im already waiting on a turbo kit from begi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts