ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1991 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 Speed Trans. 110500 miles with no modifications to engine or trans .

Now the problem im having,

A couple of weeks ago as I was driving home the car just randomly cut off. So I called AAA and had the car towed to my house. As it was at my house I thought that the fuel pump was'nt working and thought it was a good excuse to replace it with a nice oem walbro 190 form JSC. Got the fuel pump in the car and now when trying to start I could hear the fuel pump working. Still though the car would just turn and turn but never start, So i knda got frustrated and had the car towed to the local dealship to have them at least tell me what the problem was. Four hours later they called me and said it would cost me over 1000 dollars to have them fix it, I asked what the problem was and they said that the CAS ( cam angle sensor ) was bad . I bought a used oem one from a user on here the part is in the car and still nothing. So i started turning the CAS to try and get it to at least start and then I could get the car timed well it will start for about 4 seconds rev's to 1500 and then dies out you try and start the car it just truns and turns. Now after seaching the fourms and finding that a member on here named (redfred18t) had a similar promblem I read all the post and wacthed his video now the first video wicth I will put on this post is what my car does I dont know anyone else where I live with a miata so I cant just go around borrowing parts to find out wich one it is. And I dont have a ton of money to start just throwing parts at it. If anyone has a thought of what it might be i would appreciate some help thanks.

redfred18t's video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2OySaca5cI&feature=player_embedded

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
The video shows the car acts like the MAF is disconnected. After the car dies and the attempts to restart don't work, I noticed the cranking doesn't register on the tachometer, which it should.

Found redfred's solution on his FS thread on mt.n. He had a bad stock FPR.

"second item, a 1.6 ignitor. This one I have used, however it didn't fix my issue (narrowed it down to FPR) so I removed it."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well I think I will grab a new fuel pressure regulator this week and see what happens .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK well I got a newer FPR and newer Ignitor from project-G got them installed disconnected the battery and the ecu made sure everything is plugged in correctly made sure fuses were good still just cranks and cranks when it does turn over it does the same thing revs to about 1500 the oil pressure goes to 50-60 on the gauge then the car just bogs down and dies within a few seconds and the just cranks and cranks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I proped my mass air flow meter open and sure enough the car stayed running until I took it out so I ordered one from project G and should have it this weekend and I guess I will go from there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright well I just got my (newer) mass air flow sensor from project G, I was all excited my miata was finally going to run and I could finish the project somewhat on time. So I put the sensor on and go to crank the car and nothing just turns and turns and turns. I got a little iritated so I stepped back and took a break went back out there and did the same thing as before I took a peice of metal opened the maf sensor manually and try and start it. It fianlly starts revs to 1500 and then settles at 1000 rpms but as soon as i shut the maf it dies. I have spent so much time and money im almost tempted to swap motors if i could find a new one lol. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it . Thanks -RC

·
Registered
341 Posts
fuel pump is switched on by the AFM being open, the AFM should open up during cranking from the engine airflow to allow the fuel pump to switch on, if you need to bypass the AFM you can do so in the diag connector inside the engine bay. connecting fp and gnd toegether should allow the fuel pump to run.

·
Registered
132 Posts
alright well I just got my (newer) mass air flow sensor from project G, I was all excited my miata was finally going to run and I could finish the project somewhat on time. So I put the sensor on and go to crank the car and nothing just turns and turns and turns. I got a little iritated so I stepped back and took a break went back out there and did the same thing as before I took a peice of metal opened the maf sensor manually and try and start it. It fianlly starts revs to 1500 and then settles at 1000 rpms but as soon as i shut the maf it dies. I have spent so much time and money im almost tempted to swap motors if i could find a new one lol. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it . Thanks -RC
my car does the same thing.... i used 3 AFM's already and it all came from a running miata! My guess is that I don't have the plastic tube that connects the throttle body to the AFM.....just ordered someand still waiting for it to arrive....

BTW I did a 1.8 swap on my 1992 miata...so the stock tube won't fit

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
my car does the same thing.... i used 3 AFM's already and it all came from a running miata! My guess is that I don't have the plastic tube that connects the throttle body to the AFM.....just ordered someand still waiting for it to arrive....

BTW I did a 1.8 swap on my 1992 miata...so the stock tube won't fit
The stock tube will work if you changed the water neck to the 1.6 version...stock 1.6 crossover tube worked just fine on my son's 1.8 swap..and yes, you have to have some sort of tube connecting the 2 pieces..will not run without it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
CAS wires that go to the clip that connects on top of the CAS. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem nowadays.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright well I guess I got some stuff to do this weekend I will be checking the wires running to both of those sensors and trying to get an ECU and then try to find some shop to look into this if this doesn't work out

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
You just need to stop throwing money and find some one to diagnose this or you do it.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Well have you established fuel or spark yet?

You have a crank no start. That is where you start, to don't go "Car won't start so I bought new valve springs" start small. Check fuses, grounds, make sure you didn't install the CAS wrong.

You have sort of high miles have you looked at the timing belt?

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Hey jack ass the car would still start but run like ****.

Says the man with excellent grammar.

Edit: You getting a good signal to the TPS?

·
Registered
930 Posts
no.... if the t-belt was broken it wouldn't start. if the belt was off 1 tooth or 2 tooth it would still idle. more than 3 teeth jump and it probably woulda shredded the belt and wouldnt run.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Nothing wrong with throwing out ideas that are always a common solution for so many of these threads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts