ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting new rims but dont know which to go with. For the most part its going to be my dd with some ocasional canyon runs

1. enkei rpf1 weigh 9.8 pounds and 92s 15.2 pounds (i know...huge weight difference)

2. I do like the look of the 92s better however will the weight affect my driving experience?

3. the 92s are 15x8, i have a set of coilovers, will i have to adjust anything to prevent rubbing, I am not going to slam my car just a small drop 1inch-1.5

4. oh the rpf1's cost 200$ more than the 92s

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Hold on let me ask my mom.

You probably won't notice the weight, and you never mentioned what you do with the car, so who knows if it's worthwhile? You didn't note what tires you'll be using, so I can't answer anything else you asked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what kind of driving do you plan to do with your Miata? Rubbing would depend on your rim offset and tire size.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Go with the wheel that you like most. IMO, RPF1 is worth it if you intend to drive in the twisties, autoX, or track pretty regularly. If not, save yourself the $. But if you want a good "driving" wheel, have you considered 6ULs?

I have +36 offset wheels and rolled the front fenders when I lowered my car, but eventually rolled the rear fenders when I switched to wider tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hold on let me ask my mom.

You probably won't notice the weight, and you never mentioned what you do with the car, so who knows if it's worthwhile? You didn't note what tires you'll be using, so I can't answer anything else you asked.

Its going to be dd for the most part with some ocasional canyon runs
and either 205/50/15 or 195/50/15s

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with the wheel that you like most. IMO, RPF1 is worth it if you intend to drive in the twisties, autoX, or track pretty regularly. If not, save yourself the $. But if you want a good "driving" wheel, have you considered 6ULs?

I have +36 offset wheels and rolled the front fenders when I lowered my car, but eventually rolled the rear fenders when I switched to wider tires.
Yea i was considering those, but the vendor im buying from can get enkei for cheaper prices so might as well take advantage of that... 680 for the rpf1s and 480 for the 92s

·
Registered
172 Posts
with an offset of +20 and a 205/45/15 tire you wouldnt have to roll you're fenders, I have 16x8 et20 with 205/45/16 I'm lowered about an 1.5" and don't rub, I did however rub with 205/50/16, I know different diameter rim but it can kind of give you an idea!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with an offset of +20 and a 205/45/15 tire you wouldnt have to roll you're fenders, I have 16x8 et20 with 205/45/16 I'm lowered about an 1.5" and don't rub, I did however rub with 205/50/16, I know different diameter rim but it can kind of give you an idea!
Thanks a lot! Im probably going to lower an inch so i dont think rubbing will be a problem!
very nice ride btw :icon_cheers:

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
RPF-1's all day. But I might (used to) be biased.

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
That weight difference is worth like 0.2 seconds on an average autox course, IF you're consistent enough.
MAYBE .02. More likely .002. A .2 second gain would be a massive time gain by losing a couple pounds of wheel weight and everyone competitive would be running zillion dollar featherweight custom wheels if that were possible.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts

I went from about 33 pounds per corner (8" 6ULs with 225/45 rubber) to about 24.5 pounds per corner (7", +19 RPF1s w/ 195/55). While it might not make a ton of difference in a timed event, it makes a world of difference on a daily driver. Since the OP of this thread states that the car is mostly for daily use, I'd say go with the lighter wheels...if budget allows. If not, no big deal.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
going from my old 6ul's to rpf1's made a world of difference. I'm sure the 6ul's are better for racing because of better tire sizing/choices and the ability to run bigger brakes but the smaller rpf1 feels a world better to drive on. I'd imagine that's even more true when compared to a heavier wheel like the 92's

But to be honest, if i had to pick a wheel for dd duties, I really love the look of the enkei Apache II

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I went from about 33 pounds per corner (8" 6ULs with 225/45 rubber) to about 24.5 pounds per corner (7", +19 RPF1s w/ 195/55). While it might not make a ton of difference in a timed event, it makes a world of difference on a daily driver. Since the OP of this thread states that the car is mostly for daily use, I'd say go with the lighter wheels...if budget allows. If not, no big deal.
Thanks for the feedback, how will it affect my daily driving experience?

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts