1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait to get these.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I sense a lot of silver 15x8 and SBC 15x7 owners being disappointed with this announcement.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Uh no...as it says in the description in the link, SBC = Special Brilliant Coating, chrome on the other hand is a process that adds some significant weight in terms of coating weight. The standard 15x8 RPF1's are 11.3lbs(according to Goodwin Racing) and the SBC are 5.1kg/11.24lbs(according to Rev9 Autosport) so essentially the same weight.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Special Brilliant Coating.

Not to brag or anything, but I had the first MSM with them in 2004 :p

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Most people on CR now didn't even own a Miata in 2004.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Uh no...as it says in the description in the link, SBC = Special Brilliant Coating, chrome on the other hand is a process that adds some significant weight in terms of coating weight. The standard 15x8 RPF1's are 11.3lbs(according to Goodwin Racing) and the SBC are 5.1kg/11.24lbs(according to Rev9 Autosport) so essentially the same weight.
So what you're saying is chrome that doesn't add weight = good, just trying to understand why this is sought after.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Shiny doesn't= chrome but true chrome = chromium plate as a decorative or protective finish on motor-vehicle fittings and other objects. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

It obviously is meant to emulate the luster/finish of chrome with out the downside of added weight, etc. From Enkei's site: "SBC (SPECIAL BRILLIANT COATING)
Breakthrough technology has enabled ENKEI to achieve a chrome-looking finish using synthetic coating and cosmetic techniques. SBC delivers a brilliant metal finish without the high maintenance associated with chrome and is used by ENKEI to maintain lightweight characteristics and enhance the finish of the wheels."
http://www.enkei.com/rp03.shtml

Why are they sought after? :dunno: Cuz who don't like shiny stuff?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just busting your balls on the chrome, I'm well aware what real chrome is. I just dont know why people like this when everything else shiny, like trim and such is spit upon. I personally don't like shiny stuff, find things like this gaudy. But I'd still like to know why these are sought after over black (if they are) or if they made gunmetal.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
ew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts