ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering the erebuni carbon over frp vented hood like Kickinoutyo. Yes, I know it's a few lbs heavier than stock, and it's not exactly jdm, but it's the best looking hood out there IMHO. Now, I have never been a fan of hoodpins, they just don't flow with the look of the car. those new aero catch things look nicer but i'd still rather just use the stock release. So i was wondering if it has enough structural integrity to use the stock latch? I remember horror stories back when i ewas into vws of people running carbon hoods on golfs without hoodpins and the hoods coming up on the freeway into the winsheild.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i dunno if id try it, the hood is very light and i could easily see it possibly flying off in high speed situations lol. personally i have carbon fiber hood pins that lock with a key. i think they go well with the hood, this pic kinda shows them. but like i said i dunno if i would chance it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agent 935,

Been using my Erebuni CF hood for over 2 years now without hood pins and they seem to work fine even at high speed, it flexes too, survived 2 accidents with them on. Fortunately no damage.

·
3,857 Posts
Hey guys I have a question, if you buy the CF hood how is possible to modify it?
I thought that you shouldn't cut CF pieces...right or wrong?

Finaldrive did you also cut the hood around the valve cover?

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I had a carbon fiber hood on the honda and i recommend getting hood pins. Before at speeds above 60 you could see my hood vibrate around the latch area and this was a VIS hood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Max_Power

No the hood came from the factory that way, the only modification I made was a notch to slot the hood support bar in when working on the engine. :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, finaldrive, you got it strraight from Erebuni corp with the cutout for the valve cover? And 3uno5, you had to modify yours? I wonder if their test-fit car had a shaved cover... right now my cam gears are exposed. hmm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not know if it is visible in the pictures I posted but you can check them out. Do tell me and I will add pictures if neccessary.

·
3,857 Posts
No the hood came from the factory that way, the only modification I made was a notch to slot the hood support bar in when working on the engine.
Hi Finaldrive, thank you for your reply!
I really like that hood and the only thing that hold me back is some clearance issues that people reported.
3uno5 has this hood on his 1992 miata and he had to cut the hood in the area around the valve cover.
Here are some of the pictures that he posted (3uno5 I hope to be OK with you that I'm using your pictures :))

One thing that I have in mind is maybe differences between 1.6 and 1.8 cars what kind miata you have?
Do you have the fiberglass or the carbon fiber version?

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
yea its fine to link those 8) those pics were actually sent to me from a person who did that mod before i did mine. those arnt from my car but i did the exact same thing. both hoods are CF and i have had this done to mine for almost half a year now with no issues. mine is 1.6l btw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris,

My Miata is a 1.6 with a turbo, the back end near the windshield is raised a little I think to avoid the clearance issues. There is a mesh grill on the openings to prevent UFOs from entering the engine bay. Yup mine is a CF hood. Hope this helps.

Toti

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boily,

Not much I got it to vent off the excess heat from the engine.

Toti

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm as we all know Alum disapates heat 5 times faster than steel and CF isn't good at diapating heat and the weight savings isn't all that great , so it has to be more for looks than practcallity .

Also you have to remember I'm gonna be 50 soon so its less about looks for me and more about good handleing and drive ablitiy .

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the Erebuni hood that you see in this thread is actually a pound or two heavier than stock, as it is cfrp, or Carbon over fiberglass. A true fiberglass hood is about the same as stock and a true carbon hood is around 7 pounds (which is about half of stock). Basically the only reason to go with the carbon hood is looks, or for the extreme weight reduction crowd (like Mr Woolery). That said, many think the Erebuni hood is the best looking design on the market. A lot of us are also eagerly awaiting Matt[exZ3ownwer]'s custom hood based along the same design out of full carbon and designed to fit.

·
3,857 Posts
Hmmm as we all know Alum disapates heat 5 times faster than steel and CF isn't good at diapating heat and the weight savings isn't all that great , so it has to be more for looks than practcallity .

Also you have to remember I'm gonna be 50 soon so its less about looks for me and more about good handleing and drive ablitiy .
Hi Boily
The heat dissipation from the surface of the hood is minimal.
The radiator is responsible for keeping the temperatures in the engine in normal levels.
Now the radiator and the Inter-cooler that many people with FI are using are working more effective when air is flowing from them.

If you see the front of the car there is a big opening for the radiator, which means that a lot of air is getting in but that doesn't mean that the air is flowing!

In order to have the best flow you have to provide also a way for the air to escape from there!
That what this hood is doing, is providing the most effective path for the air to escape from the engine bay which normally is just leaving from the area under the engine.

Some other interesting things:
-> By opening the headlights - or doing the sleepy eye modification - you give more fresh air to the intake by at the same time you are lowering the efficiency of the radiator because you increase the pressure in the engine bay and as a result smaller amount of air is flowing through the radiator.
-> If you see behind my NACA duct (in the headlight lid) there is an isolator box which ensures that (a) the intake sucks only cool air from outside (b) and that the pressure in the engine bay stays low.
-> The popular JDM style mod which lifts the rear end of the hood actually works in the opposite way than most of the people think.
Instead of allowing the air to escape from the top of the hood it sucks air from there and it make the airflow through the radiator really bad!

This hood is probably the best available design because it has the opening in the area of the hood with the low pressure and over the back of the radiator!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts