ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'll try keep this brief and updated with lots of pictures, had the car since June 2017 and haven't driven it more than 200m, it went straight in the garage!

It's an Eunos Roadster (1.8) Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II, previous owner had used it for drifting, it'd seen better days by the time I got it:
MX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Won via a Facebook bonus ball lottery, for £20.00 ($28.54), basically pick a number from 1-59 and once all tickets are sold, the next national lottery draw picks the winner. It's my third 5 but my first NA.

Information is quite light on what these actually have, B-Spec Stage 2. I believe it's got bigger pistons, aggressive cams, lightened flywheel and raised limiter to 8krpm (yet to be confirmed), plus a few more pieces I think have long since gone. If anyone has more information on these I'd really appreciate it.

It's been an on-going battle to try get it finished, but I've set a goal for April of this year, with the intention of completing the NC500 in it. (loop of the Scottish highlands, through some great scenery and roads). It'll never be a concours level car thanks to it's history, but I intend to daily drive it and maybe try some autoX.

Quick list of mods so far is: HSD Adjustable Coilovers, Bolt in Roll Cage w/Spreader Plates, Nardi Steering Wheel w/D1-Spec Quick Release, Randall Style Air Intake, Cobalt Exhaust w/ RSR 4-1 Manifold.

Doesn't seem a lot but we've replaced/fitted the entire interior that was missing and fixed a lot along the way (Door, Wings, Front Bumper, Roof, Sill etc.) as well as giving it some much needed TLC and servicing.

I'll let the photos do the talking (apologies for the messy garage):
MX5 1-5 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
MX5 1-6 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
MX5 2-1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
MX5 NA 20/08/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
MX5 NA 02/09/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
MX5 NA 29/10/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Like I say, I'll keep this up to date and there should be a fair bit of progress between now and April.

Thanks for reading,
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics are great and this thing looks like it'll be an awesome piece of Miata history with a little love! That first pic though :smile1:
Thanks man, yeah looked really bad when we got it, if it hadn't been surprisingly solid underneath I think it would have been scrapped, a quick wash and sticker removal makes a world of difference though:
MX5 1-2 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

It had been in a bump, but nowhere near as bad as your encounter with that VW! ouch!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no idea this edition even existed! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Subscribed.
Not sure it was an edition, I think at the time of manufacture Mazdaspeed was still a seperate entity. So more of a 3rd party performance package, with several grades (Spec-A, Spec-B Stage 1,2 & 3).

Like I say, I'm trying to piece together some information on what exactly it has.

In other news it's started to product thick white smoke again, in the process of trying to diagnose if piston rings, head gasket or residual oil from it being overfilled with crap oil by the previous owner.

One option means an engine swap for my spare stock engine, I hope it's not that! :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We tried the car through an MOT, see if we've missed anything so far now that summer is looming. It failed on emissions and a few other things.

Emissions test results were:
Fast Idle CO(%): Limits Max: 0.30, Actual Value: 8.88!
Second Fast Idle CO(%): Limits Max:0.30, Actual Value: 9.14

Not good, not good at all!

So, where to begin....throughout this whole debacle I've tried to resist doing anything with the Mazdaspeed engine, a rebuild of any sort and it would be more economical to swap the engine. With that, the inevitable has happened and at this stage I'm so far down the rabbit hole giving up would be a financial mistake...so the decision is made, out the engine comes for a standard 1.8 unit.

We're committed!

I've never swapped an engine before, but I've watched a few You-tube videos, so that's about the same right?

First things first, drop the fresh oil that went in 20 miles ago:
MX5-NA 05/02/2018 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Oh dear, that's not a good sign x_x

Next, remove the radiator and any attached hoses wires, taking care to label everything for ease of re-installation, I'll need a new radiator fan as it's pretty beat up.

We decided to leave the gearbox in the car, having already swapped the clutch we knew what to expect regarding bell housing bolts etc. Only tough points were disconnecting the starter motor electrical connections. Engine ready to be removed:
Engine out, the bays covered in a lot of oil:
Old engine right and replacement left:
Decided to swap over the starter and alternator as we knew they worked, also changed: rubber fuel lines, oil cooler rubber hoses, oil filter, rear camshaft seal, coolant hoses, many many hose clips that had perished.

MOT failed on an oil leak at the rear of the block, the likely culprit being the CAS O-ring, looked like it had never been changed since the factory, brittle like plastic with no play. For anyone that hasn't changed this I'd recommend getting it done, the heater hose below hadn't burst with oil dripping on it, but it wasn't in good condition and couldn't have been far off.

After that it was a case of getting the replacement engine into the car, not as bad as expected, it can be done leaving the box in place. I'm not sure there would be much time difference between the two methods.

So that's how it sits currently: exhaust manifold, air intake, new oil and new coolant are to be sorted then we can see if it starts and how well it runs.

I've still to get replacement exhaust gaskets, engine mounts, a ball joint and some dust covers. Plus a new radiator fan an lower radiator mounting brackets as they're toast.

Once we've confirmed it works and passed an MOT, the engine will get new plugs, leads, water pump and cam-belt.

So the project lumbers on, not quite as special as before, but at least it might actually get on the road this year!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, since the car passed it's MOT last month, work has continued to get it on the road officially as well as a bit of wheeling and dealing.

Managed to pick up a set of 14"x6 ET40 Panasport fitted with some Avon tires, a case of right place right time. Quoted at roughly 13.3kg each (including tire). What is it they say? 1kg of un-sprung = 10kg of sprung weight? Hopefully that makes a difference, but I've no starting point for a comparison.

Other things that have been completed: new roof has been fitted and seems to have added head clearance as well as improving the exterior as it's actually black, HSD's pre-load adjusted from rock solid back to stock.

Some issues still persist though:
- Idle is around 1000-1200rpm and in our search for the cause we have replaced the rear coolant temp sensor, had the throttle body off to try clean out all idle control parts, searched for any air leaks. Next step is replaced the whole thing and try again.
- Underseal, paint, many many dents!

I digress though, after almost a year of ownership, the car is now ready for the road and my first time driving it. Gratuitous first drive shots:
MX5 NA 19/04/2018 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Absolutely love it, without trying to waffle on about stuff that's been covered before, it really is a much rawer driving experience and with the HSD's adjusted towards soft it's actually quite comfortable (if you avoid pot holes and drain covers).

Odd quirks I've noticed are driving with the pop-ups up is bizarre, the side mirrors are really far back and these make a passing Ford Focus look huge!

I'll make a list of everything that has been done another time, but for now, here's a before (May 2017) and after (April 2018):
MX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time for another update, spent the majority of the weekend past sorting out the car, ready for the local owners club annual gathering.

Firstly, removing, cleaning and refitting the passenger electric window as it was slow as! It's improved but I think the motor has all but given up. Refitted internal door weather seals using gutter sealant of the "non-hardening" variety, hopefully it does better than the silicone used last time.
MX5 NA 05/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Also fitted new door cards and door pulls, removing the original handles and giving a bit extra room. Also fitted; new gear knob, Vent Surrounds, HVAC Knobs and Handbrake Handle.
Fitted the Carbon surround to the gauges and brushed needle cap covers:
Deleted the charcoal canister, in an attempt to tidy up the engine bay and source an intermittent fuel smell. It's exposed some corrosion in the engine bay that'll need some sorting sooner rather than later.

Also fitted some window toggle switches to match the rest of my switch gear:
Next steps for the interior are flock the gauge cowl and try dying the seats as they are really letting it down now.

Attended the club gathering on the Sunday with an organised run beforehand, glad to finally have the car out on the road:
MX5 OC Gathering 05/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

This weekend I'm finally taking the car down to our new house. A friend and I are going to drive down at the weekend, trying to catch as many good roads as possible, but I'll save that for a future update (I hope it makes it).

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The time finally rolled round that the car was finished and ready to be driven from my parents to my new house, roughly 160 miles. So what do you do; stick your friend on the insurance, plan a road trip with a route that collects some of the best driving roads you know (roughly 380 miles) and watch as the weather decides to throw a yellow warning for rain.......maybe not that last part.

The route took us up to Inverness, across to Applecross and down the west coast to Glasgow, passing through Fort William and Glencoe. We managed about 70% with the roof down, before the rain really started.

Just after Inverness:
MX-5 Road Trip by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Halfway up the road to Applecross:

Obligatory Applecross sign photo:

Eilean Donan Castle (Near Isle of Skye):

Only major issue is that the alignment is suicidal in standing water of any depth, so that's on the list next. It's done 1100+ miles since the engine swap and hasn't used any coolant or oil in that time.

No major updates to come, just fix a few niggles and get out and enjoy it over summer.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s been a while since an update, but I’ve been using the car as my daily driver and been on a few local runs, Mrs.scottydugg has declared her love for the car so that’s an unexpected bonus.

I’ll try keep this in order as best I can and keep the waffle to a minimum. After a nail in the tire caused a flat, I decided I’d best get the Vredstein’s swapped over from my spare wheels, to replace the cracked Avons.
Probably a good thing I did, worth noting this is the front tyres and the wear is on the outside edge.....
MX5 08/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
So that’ll be needing an alignment:
3 degrees of toe in, that’ll be why it was suicidal in the wet. Sadly rear camber bolts are all seized so rear camber is immovable for now, but it isn’t chewing through tyres currently. What a difference it’s made, feels like a different car, doesn’t under steer a beast anymore. Top ti: get your alignment checked!
As some may know, I picked up a “Magic” ARC chamber for a bargain off ebay, so thought I’d set about fitting it to my Randall setup:
This is just version1.0 for the brackets, but it’s all fitted securely enough for now. Feedback on the new arrangement, it’s changed the exhaust tone marginally and it’s certainly smoother lower in the rev range. Is it faster I hear you cry? Maybe, it feels it, but whether that’s the alignment inspiring confidence or the ARC I’m not sure. Is it worth picking one up cheap? Yes it is.
Fitted the Ford washer jets, very misty a worthwhile mod:
Had fitted a fancy DAB/Bluetooth/handsfree head unit so sourced and fitted a microphone so all features worked:
Mid Install:
Microphone position:
Seems to work with the roof up, haven’t tried with the roof down yet.
Whilst the interior was in bits, decided to fit my Moss short shifter and Jass top rubber, as well as refresh the oil (the oil was only 2000/3000 miles old):
I’ve read mixed reviews on the short shifter, my OEM shifter had been rebuilt with new everything 2000miles ago but it never felt “rifle bolt” tight. The short shifter has made the gearshift much more like what I was expecting, it’s not notchy either as most people say, another worthwhile mod.
Finally, changed the brake and clutch pedal rubbers, and fitted my “project52” sticker I got made months ago:

Next on the list is to rebuild the spare set of calipers and fit with new discs/braided lines, the current brake arrangement doesn’t feel very confidence inspiring and could use some love. After that it’s underseal any areas needing attention and sort the rear camber bolts.
Thanks for reading,
Scott.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts