ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Closest tracks would be Sebring and Daytona, I've done one PDX with CFR SCCA at Daytona, and Sebring is next on my list. There are also a handful of autocross clubs around Central Florida; CFR SCCA, Martin Sports Car Club, Porsche Club, Corvette Club, and F.A.S.T Autocross is based out of the Tampa area. As far as autocross sites go, there are a few decommissioned runways at small airports, parking lots of varying sizes, a go kart track at Daytona, and a large concrete space at Sebring. Also, a little north of Gainesville in Starke FL, there is The FIRM (FL Intl. Rally Motorsports Park) which does track days, rally, and autocross events as well. Then you have Palm Beach Intl. Raceway on the east coast, which I haven't been to yet.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Closest tracks would be Sebring and Daytona, I've done one PDX with CFR SCCA at Daytona, and Sebring is next on my list. There are also a handful of autocross clubs around Central Florida; CFR SCCA, Martin Sports Car Club, Porsche Club, Corvette Club, and F.A.S.T Autocross is based out of the Tampa area. As far as autocross sites go, there are a few decommissioned runways at small airports, parking lots of varying sizes, a go kart track at Daytona, and a large concrete space at Sebring. Also, a little north of Gainesville in Starke FL, there is The FIRM (FL Intl. Rally Motorsports Park) which does track days, rally, and autocross events as well. Then you have Palm Beach Intl. Raceway on the east coast, which I haven't been to yet.
Sorry, never said thanks for the reply!

Got back last week from a long trip over thanksgiving. My inlaws live Miami Kendall area. We also drive to Tampa for exploring and my wife's job interview. First time to Tampa area, it's quite nice! Much different than Miami, thankfully.

Pretty easy to get around and beaches are really close, we stayed at the Postcard Inn, St. Pete Beach.

The probability of us moving moving to Tampa is pretty high now. Do the big tracks in Florida have regular HPDE through the the year? I'd love to drive Sebring, Daytona! But closer to Tampa autox would be good also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Love your car man! would love to see it down here in Florida. I belive FAST autox runs pretty regularly in the tampa'ish area. as well as CFR scca and MSCC if your willing to drive to orlando area where I am.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

So other questions. How bad are the mosquitos in Tampa? I know it's bad at my in laws in Miami.

How are the people in Tampa compared to other places you lived?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are track events year round, but there are not as many in the winter. The participation rates are lower. Not sure why. NASA, SCCA, The HPDE, Hooked on Driving, and Performance Driving Group are some of the popular organizations that have events at the major Florida tracks.

As far as mosquitoes, I think it depends on what people do to prevent mosquitoes. I live in the Tampa area and they aren't bad near my house, but if you go to a state park with standing fresh water, they can be bad. For a data point, my wife and I sat on our lanai last night for over an hour without either one of us getting bit.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About to leave Tampa airport, we've been here since Friday on a whirlwind visit. 3 days in Austin before this, checking out another opportunity. Did and saw a lot, the doc here Dr. Thomas Su and his wife were excellent hosts. We gave an official, YES. So my wife is joining his practice sometime this year and we hope to move down here, around summer when our 7 and 11 year old kids are out of school. It's quite pretty here and we're excited.

·
CR Troll Patrol
2,787 Posts
Join TampaBayMiatas.net We also have facebook groups if you want to message me your deets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.